Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

how to update my mac os x 10.4 to a 10.5

how to update my mac os x 10.4 to a 10.5. I got a ibook g4 and just got the new iphone 4... didn't know I needed this whole new operating system. Pls heeeeeeeeeelp!

Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Can you tell me what machine you are going to upgrade? I mean what the processor is.
It is not a difficult process but there are few precautions to take before doing so.
Do you have a copy of Leopard 10.5?
The way to tell me what you have for a machine now is below.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
I did not see the rest of your question until after I had posted the above.
Even so, please answer my information request.

Edited by Daniel on 11/2/2010 at 11:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm running on a mac os x 10.4.11
Do you have a copy of Leopard 10.5.6?
You will need it. Before you do any Installation I suggest you backup all of your important data, such as photos documents and iTunes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I download leopard 10.5.6?
No, there are bootleg copies but you do not want one. Get a copy from Amazon or eBay.
If you can match your iBook to an OEM copy then you might do ok on price.
It will not be cheap.
If you had an Intel machine I would recommend Snow Leopard, it is only $29.00.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got this from the apple store...

Apple Store Results

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
$29.00

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Family Pack
$49.00
which do you suggest? Once, I download one of em, will this let me upgrade to osx 10.5 or higher...?
You cannot run 10.6, your iBook does not support it.
Snow Leopard 10.6 requires an Intel machine, you have a G4. Sorry about that, that is why I suggested Amazon, eBay or something else to buy it.
Perhaps one of your friends has a copy.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok... trying to figure out the one answer to this dilemma... I am trying to use my new iphone 4 but cannot cause I do not have mac os x 10.5 or higher... and... in order to do so, I need to get snow leopard to upgrade my 10.4.11... So... does this puzzling question make sense?
Yes, it does. The problem is your machine cannot run Snow Leopard, which is quite inexpensive at the Apple store, it will run Leopard, Apple no longer sells Leopard.
The only way to get a copy is to buy it from eBay, Amazon or a seller like that, or if you are lucky you will have a friend that has a copy. You can trick an original equipment disc to install on your iBook by using another Mac.
Unfortunately, without 10.5 your iPhone is not going to work with your computer.
Your other option is to upgrade your computer, pretty much no matter what you do with the exception of having a friend with a copy it is going to cost you money.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
new computer huh... I'm afraid of that answer... Ok. guess gonna have to shed the $$$. Thanks!
I suggest a refurbished Apple, you get the same warranties for a bit less than full price.Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)
Glad I could help, thank you.