Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

G4, Tiger, osx 10.4.11, imovie 6.0.3 When in imovie and want

G4, Tiger, osx 10.4.11, imovie 6.0.3 When in imovie and want to import, "camera connected' is on the screen and it will only import the blue screen. I can even disconnect the import cable and it still is "camera connected". Also, if I unplug the Apple and start it back up and go back to imovie same results. Is this an impossible problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Please tell me that is not how you turn your machine off. You do not actually unplug it from the power?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I turned it off and then I unplugged it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that is better. I suggest a pram reset to start with and if that does not do the job then we will move to other things.
To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound it makes when starting up.
If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Please do that very carefully and let me know the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did for 1 minute and it sounded like a machine gun. Should I continue holding down?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
No, there should be four distinct startup sounds. It is like the machine is starting up four times.
Here is a screenshot that shows the keys to hold down in case I wasn't real clear.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I did it again and it worked
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
If iMovie continues to give you problems it may be a good time to trash the plist.
Before you do that though I want you to try it again.
Also, you might find this useful.iMovie HD PDF
It has lots of good stuff in there to help you with iMovie HD.
Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, but that didn't work. Can you think of anything else to do?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Now I want you to trash the iMovie plist. First quit iMove, do not red dot, make sure that you quit it.
Then set your finder to column view, like this.

Register Here
Then follow the path below to find the iMovie plist and drag it to the trash, iMovie will create a new one and act like you and it have never met the next time you open it.

Register Here
I have more than one iMovie, you want just the one that says iMovie not the iMovie 8.
Which should be now, let me know how it acts now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am in column view but it looks a little different. It has "name" and the "date modified" and no other columns. It does not have "Cover Flow"
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
We do not care about cover flow, we want column view. it makes it much easier to find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Which ones do i delete-com.apple.imovie.plist or com.apple.imovie3.plist?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Both, iMovie will create new ones without corruption, that is the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good try, but imovie is running slower than usual and I still have the same problem.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Are any other applications doing this? Are you using any antivirus software?
There are two things I want you to try.
The first is repairing permissions, this PDF will explain how to do this.
The next is called a SafeBoot, it runs UNIX repair routines that normally get neglected.

Restart from the Apple menu and as soon as the screen turns black press and hold down the Shift key until the Apple logo and gear appear then let go.
It may take as long as 20 minutes to start so please have patience.
When the login screen appears it will say SafeBoot in red, login as usual.
Wait about 5 more minutes and then try iMovie again. If it is ok then restart normally, if it doesn't work restart anyway.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I followed directions to the letter but what popped up is "your computer contains a graphic card which may not support imovie". Should I launch imovie?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like you may need a new OS, you have used iMovie on this Mac before have you not?
Try it, the worst that can happen is it won't work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I launched imovie and it doesn't work. Could I take the 2 flist out of the trash and put them back in and if so how would I do that?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
That will make no difference putting those back.
At this point I suggest an Archive and Install, this puts a new OS on your machine and leaves your data intact. I do recommend backing important data up just in case.
This PDF explains how to do this. The back up software is this, SuperDuper!, you can select what to backup and what not, it will make an exact copy of your system but that has issues so just get the good stuff.
This requires that you have your installation discs.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.