Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi, how do I transfer my contacts from my PC to my new ipad

Customer Question

Hi, how do I transfer my contacts from my PC to my new ipad please? Also can I use spotify on the ipad?
Thank you,
Sophie
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

Ipod Specialist :

Hi

Ipod Specialist :

I am Vinod.

Ipod Specialist :

I will help you resolve this issue.

Ipod Specialist :

What I understand is that you are trying to transfer contacts from PC to the ipad, correct?

Customer : hi Vinod. yes that is correct, Thanks
Ipod Specialist :

No problem, I will help you resolve this issue.

Ipod Specialist :

Where do you want to transfer the contacts from? address book, yahoo, outlook etc

Customer : From Yahoo contacts, yes.
Ipod Specialist :

First of all, let's plug in your ipad to the computer and open the itunes.

Customer : Ok, will do. I am writing to you on it now though, is that ok?
Ipod Specialist :

It may cut off.

Ipod Specialist :

So I will send you the whole steps. You can just do that and let me know if you have any difficulty

Ipod Specialist :

When you plug in your ipad to the computer, you will receive the following screen in itunes.

Customer : Ok, thanks
Ipod Specialist :

Full Size Image

Customer : Received, thanks
Ipod Specialist :

Click on the info tab. Check the option which says "sync contacts from" and select the yahoo contacts option. And then click on the apply button to the bottom right corner

Ipod Specialist :

It should start syncing.

Customer : brilliant, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it a go now.
Ipod Specialist :

not a problem. take your time and if you have any difficulty, just reply back to this chat.

Customer : Do you know if I can use spotify on the iPad?
Ipod Specialist :

Let me check that.

Ipod Specialist :

What I saw in Wikipedia just now, is that we can access spotify through iphone. So it should be possible with ipad as well

Customer : Ok,it just refuses even with my working account, maybe there is a trick!
Ipod Specialist :

I searched the spotify website.

Ipod Specialist :

They have listed iphone and ipod touch over there, but not ipad

Customer : Yeh that is what I feared, thanks.
Ipod Specialist :

So now I doubt whether ipad can

Customer : can I read your instructions re contacts again, I am unable to sroll back up. sorry and Thanks again.
Ipod Specialist :

1:24 AM

It should start syncing.

Ipod Specialist :

Did you get it?

Ipod Specialist :

Just reply to this message if you have any difficulty, and I am happy to help you.

Customer : Shit, I am so sorry, I did not understand the very beginning and I can't see your message any more,,Thanks
Ipod Specialist :

no problem, I will sent it again.

Customer : Thanks
Ipod Specialist :

When you plug in your ipad, it will be listed to the left side of the itunes under devices. Click on that ipad name and now to the middle of the screen you will find the following window

Ipod Specialist :

Full Size Image

Ipod Specialist :

Click on the info tab as I indicated using an arrow. Check the option which says "sync contacts from" and select the yahoo contacts option. And then click on the apply button to the bottom right corner

It should start syncing.

Customer : Sorry, but there is no iTunes icon , I'll have to try some other way, I feel a nit, as I know what you are telling me is correct, but I just can't seem to see what I need to see. sorry, do take the £13of course.
Customer : Thanks
Ipod Specialist :

Haven't you downloaded itunes in your pc?

Ipod Specialist :

Don't be upset, the solution is so simple.

Customer : Yes I have iTunes on the pc, but.......
Ipod Specialist :

What happens when you open the itunes or is it that you are not able to see the itunes icon itself?

Customer : When I open iTunes, sorry yes there is an icon, I just didn't know how else to say how hopeless I was being, there is the full library etc...
Ipod Specialist :

That is how it is. When you open the itunes, in most cases, it will show you the whole music of yours. To the left side of the itunes, you will have links like music, movies, store, playlists etc

Customer : Yes, I see that, ok
Ipod Specialist :

When you plug in your ipad, your ipad will be listed to the left side along with those links, under a link called "devices"

Customer : No sorry, there is no iPad listed and no "devices", this pc seems to think the iPad is a camera, is that ok?
Ipod Specialist :

We have to turn off the camera notification. Which computer do you use? A windows xp/ vista/ 7?

Customer : but the camera is not listed on the left Hand side either only on the bottom of the screen.
Ipod Specialist :

Customer : Windows xp
Ipod Specialist :

Which version of itunes do you have?

Ipod Specialist :

You can check that by clicking on help and then on about itunes, as shown below

Ipod Specialist :

Full Size Image

Customer : Sorry, no idea, I have not used them before tonight!
Ipod Specialist :

Just click on the following image, and you will find where to find the help menu and how to click on about itunes

Ipod Specialist :

Full Size Image

Customer : I have let my son onto the PC now, so maybe we can still chat if you have info, but I won't be able to sync tonight.Ok? thanks
Ipod Specialist :

Not a problem. Did you get the image?

Customer : It says apple iPad with a picture of a camera and options to import pictures, is that correct?
Customer : Oh sorry that image you sent me, yes thanks
Ipod Specialist :

If it is recognizing as a camera, we have to disable the camera notification. The article which gives you the step by step procedure is http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1857

Customer : Yes that is just like ours, thankyou so I think I can manage now. bye:)
Ipod Specialist :

If your ipad is recognized as a camera, we have to disable the camera notification. The article which gives you the step by step procedure is http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1857

Ipod Specialist :

After that it should be fine.

Customer : Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Ipod Specialist :

Just reply to this mail if you have any difficulty.

Customer : Brilliant, thank you.
Ipod Specialist :

Are you working with it now?

Ipod Specialist :

I won't be able to reply for the next 5-6 hours because it is 2.30 am over here and my eyes are dying. But once I get up, I will reply you with whatever help you need regarding this. Sorry for the delay.

Ipod Specialist :

Have a great day, Sophie.

Customer : Bloody he'll testis awful, I am so sorry, I had. O idea
Customer : Oops, ihad no idea, hopoe you sleep well, bye thank you. Sophie
Ipod Specialist :

Hi Sophie.

Ipod Specialist :

I believe you have disabled the camera notification..:)

Ipod Specialist :

Just let me know of any difficulty you have and I am happy to help you.