Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I am a Detective with the Town of Bethlehem Police Department

I am a Detective with the Town of Bethlehem Police Department @XXXXXDelmar, NY 12054. We are investigating a larceny of a Ipod Touch. The owner tracked it to an adjoining Town. We were looking for help in narrowing the search?

Detective Chuck Rudolph
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chuck, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Your best bet is to contact Apple, we are not Apple.
The number to call is 1.800.275.2273 that is the official help for Apple.
More than likely the lost iPod touch has what is called Find My Phone, I have the same application, the trouble with that is it cannot get all that close, they cannot pinpoint its location.
It can, however, lock it or wipe it, it can also put a message on the screen for the person that has it now to return it.
That's about the best help I can give you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Daniel-Apple was already contacted and advised to contact you. One of the questions that came about was If the IPOD is online from another computer is it possible to track that IP address through the IPOD to get a better location. The information you provided we were already familiar with.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Who did Apple say we were? We are a pay service that can assist with many computer issues. But Find My Phone is not as precise as I would like it to be if that is what is being used.
If you have an IP address that is associated with the computer being used with the iPod then it may be possible to pinpoint it physically.
This explains what you are up against somewhat.
This may be more helpful.
Best I can do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Daniel, Find My phone is the site and Apple said they simply could not help and to use this site. If the locator on the IPOD is provided by Find my phone wouldn't a return IP address come back through the internet to your site or the person tracking it? Also, I am using my personal card and hope I do not get charged for each question. If so let me know because I will not get reimbursed and I am making a cops salary. lol
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
No, you only are charged for the original question and then only if satisfied.
Find My Phone will not return an IP address as far as I know.
It may be best to lock it remotely and maybe wipe it, the chances are slim to pinpoint as the technology is not that good yet on the iPod.
I am sorry I can not offer more.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Daniel.