Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

We tried to install Skype on our Mac OSX Snow Leapord. We

Customer Question

We tried to install Skype on our Mac OSX Snow Leapord.
We have tried it over and over. Says our credit card doesn't
match our card which we know it is right. We have no idea why
it doesn't work. We need it tonight.
We can't even get it to install.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

Ipod Specialist :

Hi

Ipod Specialist :

I am Vinod.

Ipod Specialist :

I will try my best to help you out in this case

Customer :

I am not on an ipod. my issues are with mu mac airbook.

Ipod Specialist :

not a problem, your issue is with credit card in skype, correct?

Customer :

no we can not get skype tp ;pad and work on the airbook w/ os x snow leapord

Ipod Specialist :

sorry, in that case I have to opt out, some other expert will soon contact you

Customer :

OK

Customer :

our issues are

Customer :

our issues are installing and getting skype to work at all Airbook w/snow leapord and safari

Customer :

someone needs to walk me through this step by step/ I do not know what SMS is. Even the apple techs at the genius bar were not able to help and said I"I don;t know what the problem is."

Customer :

I will be offline for some time to go vote.

Customer :

I am back online

Customer :

You asked about my credit card. There is no issue the card is good and we us it every day, just this morning.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
First I need to know just what the equipment is you are attempting to install this on.
I am not sure I understand the reference to the credit card, I have Skype installed but it doesn't cost me anything.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
If you posted a reply, I did not get it. Please repost it.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
That one did not reach me either.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The hard drive crashed on this computer. We had skype on that drive and when we hard a new drive in we also went from leapord to snow leapord we signed up again with skype and downloaded the mac version.
When it asjs for the username and password XXXXX input them and the click sign in it just spins and spins and goes nowhere that is it Idoes nothing
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Okay, let's try some simple repair routines and see where that takes us.
This will require some restarts so please bookmark this so that you can get back to me with the results.
I want you to repair the permissions to begin with, this PDF will explain how.

After that I want you to do a pram reset, this clears the machine and refreshes it.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your Mac makes at startup.
If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Then after that is a safe boot, this runs some UNIX repair routines that normally get neglected.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Then restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

After you do these things try Skype again, if it works then the problem is solved, if it does not then we will move on to other things.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wiil do this tomorrow morning, I am away from the house and internet until late tonight Thanks I will get back tomorrow.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Okay, no hurry. Just keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did all the things permissions reset, pram, and safe boot. Nothing helped.
The sign in window pops up when i click on it-after typing in username and password XXXXX click it simply spins and spins.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Ok, open Skype preferences, click on the advanced tab and set the port to 18174 as what is in the image below.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here