D.Marino
D.Marino, Comptia A+ and Network+ certified
Experience:  Over 8yrs exp. reparing desktop, laptop, networks, printers, routers, hardware or software
37043141

A virus from a spam mail with an offer for Rolex watches seems

A virus from a spam mail with an offer for Rolex watches seems to have infected my Mail application on my iMac running OSX 10.5.8 - How is this possible?????? and how can I get rid of it? Symptoms are that outgoing mails say they are being sent from a different mail address than the one selected and i no longer appear to be able to send any mail at all... HELP! I have just verified and in fact it appears that the "sending" address appears to be the "to" address - e.g. when I try to send myself a test mail from one address to another (I have several) it tries to send "from" the address that is in the "to" box of the mail. This is probably how the virus propagates itself to other computers? I have seen explanations of how to get rid of this virus on a PC but not on a Mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. I have ClamXav installed.
Category: Mac
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.

D.Marino :

Hi and Welcome to Just Answers. My name isXXXXX me know when your ready to start

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

OK I'm ready

D.Marino :

Ok I can see your back now so I will give you 2 links one to explain what your computer has and the second is a program to remove it. Also look through your contact lists and delete email contacts you don't know the trojan will automatically add itself to your contacts ok. So first look at this description: http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/trojan_osx_dnschanger.shtml it shows how easy it is to get this even by running fake warnings or opening the email which unfortunately you have done. The second is a program to remove it from your system here: http://macscan.securemac.com/ you can run the free download and let me know if this works for you ok.

D.Marino :

The first thing I was going to recommend was install clam and run it lol. Most people don't think apples get viruses.

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I have run both clamXav and a fully operational trial version of ProtectMacAntivirus and neither have detected anything !

D.Marino :

ok have you checked through your contact list?

D.Marino :

If not please do.

D.Marino :

Are you still with me?

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

sorry yes I am still here I was just reading the info from the link you sent ! What am I looking for in my contact list? Do you mean address book?

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

Will the trial version of MacScan work?

D.Marino :

The trial version should do the trick but I am confused you said you ran this and found nothing is that correct? If not please run it. :)Another way to remove it if it has placed itself in the browser is to uninstall firefox and re install it from this link: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html Let me know whats going on as you do the scan or if you need to uninstall and reinstall ok.

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I haven't tried MacScan but ProtectMac - maybe MacScan is better... Can you help me with what I'm looking for in my contacts list and is this the same as my address book?

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

Do I need to remove from contacts before running the MacScan?

D.Marino :

Ok just look through your email contacts for anything that was added without your permission when you opened the email that contained the virus it was most likely added to your mailing list in the addressbook.

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

the email came from one of my own addresses... although there may well have been another address hidden in the long header... How do I know what was added without my permission?

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I have 1395 contacts in my address book and don't even know how i get to look at the "previous recipients" list - is there a short cut for finding the email contact?

D.Marino :

Wow thats really a large amount to look through. Give me a minute and let me see if I can find a root kill for your system are you able to wait about five minutes?

D.Marino :

I don't want to make you wait to long :)

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

sure - I really need to get this sorted. I'm a translator and work online - if I can't send mails I can't earn money!

D.Marino :

Same here give me a quick minute thanks :)

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I think I found it! And have deleted it...

D.Marino :

That's great! Can you now download and run the rookit remover from above to remove any pieces that are hiding in your system?

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I am running MacScan as we speak...

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

At the moment it is scanning my "user" files... and has only found 4 tracking cookies...

D.Marino :

Did that go through???

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

It is still scanning!

D.Marino :

Sorry let me try again. Ok here is a program that should remove your trojan please scroll down and choose the blue download on the left side of the page. Run this and let me know how it does. It should work quickly. I will be here until your done. If you have to restart your system please just save this page/bookmark so you can get here easier. This may be easier than the first virus remover this cleans the roots. lol Give it a try please It is called F-Secure BackLight Rootkit Remover : http://www.informationengineer.org/2009/04/21/f-secure-backlight-rootkit-remover.html

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

ok will download and try new solution

D.Marino :

Please look above and let me know if the second link comes through this system is blocking me ok

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

the link showing in your message of 4:22 only shows for Windows

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I don't have the second link - all I am getting from http://www.informationengineer.org/2009/04/21/f-secure-backlight-rootkit-remover.html is links to links that provide compression software...???????????

D.Marino :

Ok the system keeps blocking my posts I will keep trying to send this new link to you

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I have just run a DNSChanger trojan horse remover and the scan it ran (somehow linked to MacScan) said it could not detect the DNSChanger trojan horse...

D.Marino :

ok can you send your self an email to check to see if you have removed it while I try to locate the correct link for the rootkit thanks let me know

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I cannot send ANY emails - even to myself. That is precisely the problem.

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

Are you sure this is a DNSChanger trojan horse?

D.Marino :

You deleted the contact right so I was wondering if the email worked now.

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I think I deleted the email address... and no the email is still not working... We seem to be getting nowhere...

D.Marino :

Ok I am desperately trying to send you several posts here and this system is just blocking me. When you signed up did you give them a working email or just the one thats giving you trouble

D.Marino :

I would like to swith this over to question and answer so the system can no longer block me but dont know if you will be able to acess the email or if you can work with me on a different computer to fix the mac please let me know.

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

I am receiving emails no problem! I just can't send them... I don't seem to be having any problems with Firefox though. How does question and answer work?

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

Are you still there - my screen is showing Expert is : offline !

D.Marino :

Yes I am still here

D.Marino :

Question and answer is a back and forth process you ask I answer all through email. You said you can recieve but is there another computer near you to reply to me before I switch this???

JACUSTOMER-diui7n7l- :

Yes, I have a laptop that I can answer you from

D.Marino :

Awesome let's try that please look for the email.

Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.

Are you with me now???

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I am with you
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.

Ok quite a few things I was trying to post to you didn't go through there is a system problem so this will eliminate that. If I repeat myself I am sorry I am not sure what actually went through so I was asking if this was the program you were running: http://www.dnschanger.com/ and it found my program you downloaded. or were you running this mine and it found it on your system? Next I am trying to get you the correct MAC version of the root kill so you can run it to remove all pieces that may be hiding in your system. Did the virus program you ran find anything other than tracking cookies? Thanks

Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.
Remember just send me reply's to questions and dont hit accept until we fix this :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What I have done so far : 1) I think I found and deleted a suspicious email address from my address book; 2) I downloaded and ran a freeware programme called ProtectMac - it found nothing; 3) I downloaded MacScan and so far it has only found tracking cookies; 4) then I ran the DNSChanger detector from dnschanger.com and it found nothing.... Let me go back to the beginning! This morning I received a spam mail offering a rolex watch. It was sent FROM my own email address TO the same email address. This annoyed me as that address is through a very small ISP/ESP who I no longer use for ISP but I thought he should know about it - so I tried to forward the email to him. The mail contained an animated ad for rolex watches. It would not send. I deleted the animated image and the email would still not go. Then I gave up and started trying to respond to other emails and discovered that the address I put in the TO field was showing up as the adress the email was sending FROM. Also, one of the mails I tried to send seemed to be trying to load an image... as if it was the rolex ad trying to load... Hope this helps - I am truly desperate. I am in France and it is now 5:34pm and I have spent the whole day trying to sort this out... I have other commitments in about 1 hour - do you think we can sort it?
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.
Would you like to continue this tomorrow? This question will stay open until we fix your email issue. If you would like to continue tomorrow so you can go to your other commitments that if fine. :) I will be online all day tomorrow and all you would have to do is just send me a reply when you are ready to begin and we can continue to fix this then ok. It is only 12;45PM here. I can continue to get you the correct steps now and give them to you tomorrow or later today your choice. I would recommend to uninstall firefox and reinstall it now and we can continue when you are able. Does that sound ok? Shoot me a quick reply to let me know what you would like to do ok. Thanks Denise
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.
This is the link: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would really like to get this fixed today if at all possible - so please carry on and see if you can find me a solution! In the meanwhile I will uninstall firefox and reinstall it to see if that helps (but will that solve my mail problem?). MacScan is also running a full check of my hard drive - so that might bring something up. My other commitments are here at home so I can continue this off and on this evening and tomorrow if necessary. Each time I send you a message the Just Answer page says that you have 15 minutes to respond before the question is thrown open to other experts... is that a problem?
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.
No as long as I keep relocking this question every five minutes (the timer on my side) lol. After you have done your firefox reinstall I would like you to try this root kit remover download and run it and let me know if after you are done you are able to send emails ok. If not I will keep working with you until we fix this. Please try this: http://www.antirootkit.com/software/OS-X-Rootkit-Hunter.htm the down load is almost at the very bottom of the page and should work with your system it is built for mac.This is what it looks like at the bottom: Download from christian-hornung.de or just click it.

Edited by D.Marino on 11/2/2010 at 5:08 PM EST
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.

Hi are you still working on this? Are you there?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I am still here and still working on this... A clean uninstall/reinstall of Firefox done! In the meawhile MacScan could only find 34 tracking cookies...
Just looked at the rootkit hunter you sent me a link for and it says it hasn't been tested on Intel based Macs - is that ok?
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.

Yes this software was originally designed for windows operating systems and has been modified for mac (the file extension is not .exe). It is safe to try and the worst thing that can happen here is it will not run if it isn't compatible. Try the download and let me know if it will run for you and I will search for another just incase it doesn't allow you to run it ok.But it should run. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As I said - the link you sent me is not appropriate for intel based Macs... so now I need to go somewhere else and change the wget... this is getting a bit frustrating and I'm feeling that you are taking stabs in the dark - which quite frankly I could do on my own... :-(
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have just run the rootkit software and it hasn't found anything - however this software dates from 2008 and although I updated the database I couldn't see anything for the osxdnschange. Here is the log : Checking for rootkits...

Performing check of known rootkit files and directories
55808 Trojan - Variant A [ Not found ]
ADM Worm [ Not found ]
AjaKit Rootkit [ Not found ]
aPa Kit [ Not found ]
Apache Worm [ Not found ]
Ambient (ark) Rootkit [ Not found ]
Balaur Rootkit [ Not found ]
BeastKit Rootkit [ Not found ]
beX2 Rootkit [ Not found ]
BOBKit Rootkit [ Not found ]
CiNIK Worm (Slapper.B variant) [ Not found ]
Danny-Boy's Abuse Kit [ Not found ]
Devil RootKit [ Not found ]
Dica-Kit Rootkit [ Not found ]
Dreams Rootkit [ Not found ]
Duarawkz Rootkit [ Not found ]
Enye LKM [ Not found ]
Flea Linux Rootkit [ Not found ]
FreeBSD Rootkit [ Not found ]
f**k`it Rootkit [ Not found ]
GasKit Rootkit [ Not found ]
Heroin LKM [ Not found ]
HjC Kit [ Not found ]
ignoKit Rootkit [ Not found ]
ImperalsS-FBRK Rootkit [ Not found ]
Irix Rootkit [ Not found ]
Kitko Rootkit [ Not found ]
Knark Rootkit [ Not found ]
Li0n Worm [ Not found ]
Lockit / LJK2 Rootkit [ Not found ]
Mood-NT Rootkit [ Not found ]
MRK Rootkit [ Not found ]
Ni0 Rootkit [ Not found ]
Ohhara Rootkit [ Not found ]
Optic Kit (Tux) Worm [ Not found ]
Oz Rootkit [ Not found ]
Phalanx Rootkit [ Not found ]
Portacelo Rootkit [ Not found ]
R3dstorm Toolkit [ Not found ]
RH-Sharpe's Rootkit [ Not found ]
RSHA's Rootkit [ Not found ]
Scalper Worm [ Not found ]
Sebek LKM [ Not found ]
Shutdown Rootkit [ Not found ]
SHV4 Rootkit [ Not found ]
SHV5 Rootkit [ Not found ]
Sin Rootkit [ Not found ]
Slapper Worm [ Not found ]
Sneakin Rootkit [ Not found ]
Suckit Rootkit [ Not found ]
SunOS Rootkit [ Not found ]
SunOS / NSDAP Rootkit [ Not found ]
Superkit Rootkit [ Not found ]
TBD (Telnet BackDoor) [ Not found ]
TeLeKiT Rootkit [ Not found ]
T0rn Rootkit [ Not found ]
Trojanit Kit [ Not found ]
Tuxtendo Rootkit [ Not found ]
URK Rootkit [ Not found ]
VcKit Rootkit [ Not found ]
Volc Rootkit [ Not found ]
X-Org SunOS Rootkit [ Not found ]
zaRwT.KiT Rootkit [ Not found ]

Performing additional rootkit checks
Checking for possible rootkit files and directories [ None found ]
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.

Wow I can't believe it didn't find what we are looking for! But it did eliminate a huge amount of very bad trojan possibilities. So please read this whole post and follow the steps I give and when it is done please shoot me a reply remember not to hit accept unless it fixes your email issue. I have to step out but will return in an hour an a half.

Ok this is a very detailed article of the virus I believe you have here please take a look at it: http://www.macworld.com/article/49459/2006/02/leapafaq.html and it recommends you update your anti virus software. You didn't mention which one you are using or if you have any installed. I know you have run clam which is a scanner not anti virus software. So let me know if you are using any of the three here: If you use Sophos Anti-Virus, Symantec's Norton AntiVirus, or Intego's VirusBarrier X4, and if you don't have one on your system, I would recommend Sophos anti-virus which you can get to to download by clicking the link in blue. But before you change or add anything else please download this removal program for mac to remove virus/trojan here: http://download.cnet.com/Bye-Leap-A/3000-2239_4-90424.html?tag=mncol;7

Use the green download button on the left and download it and follow the prompts to run it. After this is complete download and install your sophos software and you should be all set here ok. I would also like to ask you to uninstall the following: Mac scan, Protect mac, and the rootkit hunter I gave you. You will no longer need this software. :)

Now after you have done all in this post please try to send yourself an email and see if the virus is gone if it is please hit accept for me and if after all this you still can't get an email to send just shoot me a reply and I will continue to help. You are doing great by the way!!! Killing viruses can take some time but your almost there! Let me know how you do by shooting me a reply. I will be offline for an hour an a half I have to go pick up my little one from school but will sign right back in to see how you are doing ok. Thanks talk to you in a little bit Denise

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok - I will try - but I am still not convinced that this is what I have as I have not downloaded a file and executed it.... neither have I found either apphook or latestpics.tgz on my computer... I don't have any antivirus software but will download the sophos anti-virus and will download the removal program from cnet and try that too. I will be back in touch tomorrow when I have done all this, but I have to say I am not convinced... thanks for your help. Is there any way I can re-install just the mail software on Mac?
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.

Hi I am back and read your post, I was under the impression you wanted to fix your virus that has stopped your email out-going side from the infected email you opened sorry.

So let's fix your settings and update your apple mail software.To fix your settings and ports for email please follow this set of instructions:

1. Open Mail.
  2. Choose Preferences from the Mail menu.
  3. Click Accounts in the Preferences window.
  4. Select (highlight) your account on the left side of the window if you have more than one account.
  5. Click the Account Information pane.
  6. Ensure that the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu is not set to "None". If it is, select your server from the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu if it appears.
  7. Test for the issue.

And if this doesn't work you can download the update for your apple mail like this which includes pictures and steps:

Getting updates immediately (Mac OS X v10.3 or later)

1. From the Apple (?) menu, choose Software Update.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Apple menu in Mac OS X 10.5 and later

2. Software Update checks for available updates. In the Software Update window, select the items you want to install, then click Install. Usually, you should install all available updates. (Mac OS X v10.3 only: Click the Check Now button.)
  3. Enter an administrator account name and password.
  4. After installation is complete, restart the computer if required.

You can repeat these steps to see if more updates are now available. Because some software updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to repeat these steps several times to complete the software update sequence.

Note: Mac OS X v10.5 and later can automatically run Software Update checks in the background and let you know when an update is available for your computer.

Getting updates immediately (Mac OS X v10.2.8 or earlier)

1. From the Apple (?) menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. From the View menu, choose Software Update.
  3. Click Update Now.
  4. In the Software Update window, select the items you want to install, then click Install.
  5. Enter an administrator account name and password.
  6. After the update is complete, restart the computer if a restart is required.

Now if this fixes the email issue please hit accept and if not after all we are doing please shoot me a reply tomorrow when you are ready to begin again. Thanks Denise

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All my software is up to date. I run the latest of everything. Somehow I believe that the mail I received this morning messed up my mail settings (whether a virus or a trojan or something else). I have 6 email accounts. They are all set to use the outgoing mail smtp server that works for my ISP (smtp.orange.fr). It has worked since I joined this ISP late August this year. When I received the spam mail this morning (using my own email address in the From and i the To fields - i.e. my own address hijacked) it seemed to screw up my mail settings and then when I tried sending mail suddenly the mail defaulted to sending FROM the address that I put in the TO field - which is why I thought this was a virus/malware. I have given you ALL the details and have spent HOURS following your instructions downloading software, installing it, running it, running scans etc.- including reinstalling Firefox and losing all my bookmarks... Right now the Sophos software is running a scan of all folders and files on my mac and so far has found nothing except a 2yr old document with an old macro problem. Perhaps I have now got rid of whatever it was. When I try to send a mail to myself now, it no longer switches the TO field for the FROM. BUT I STILL CAN'T SEND MAIL. I can't download an update for Mail because my software is completely up to date. My question to you is whether it is possible to re-install JUST the Mail software (which comes as part of the system software I think). If you want to give up on this problem, I completely understand. But I am not ready to pay for a solution that I have not yet received - and I'm sure you can understand that. I am relatively computer literate and can usually troubleshoot my own stuff. This freaked me out because I wasn't aware that you could get trojans etc on Macs ;-) and as I couldn't find any answers quickly on a forum I was prepared to pay JustAnswer to get an expert to help me sort it out. Voilà. I am still at the same point I was early this morning and cannot send mail... So I still need help!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Finally - I have solved the problem (02h15). In desperation I reconfigured my entire mail set up from scratch and despite the settings having been correct I found a message on a French forum that suggest forcing the port number for the smtp...
I have asked the JustAnswer people how I can pay you half the agreed amount as in the end I solved my own problem - but I appreciate how much time you spent trying to help me. Will keep you posted on their response. Thanks for your input which I do sincerely appreciate (although it is true that some of the links and solutions were out of date or not appropriate...).
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.
Hi I sent this post to the moderator also. Thanks Denise
Experience: Over 8yrs exp. reparing desktop, laptop, networks, printers, routers, hardware or software
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Denise - I am somewhat surprised not to have heard back from the JustAnswer people and don't really know how to chase them up... I would like to get this sorted asap - for both of us! Hopefully either your moderator or the people I contacted will get back to me soon. Cheers Philippa
Expert:  D.Marino replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Denise