Joseph
Joseph, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 2 years of experience in computer industry including MAC
27113160

Getting an error that I dont have permissions to run a program

Customer Question

Getting an error that I don't have permissions to run a program on my iMac. The program in question is under my daughters profile. I am trying to lock it down a bit but not this much.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Joseph :

Hello

Joseph :

Which software are you trying to install ?

Joseph :

Whats the exact message that you are getting ?

JACUSTOMER-yhcl54ij- :

A game for my 3 year old. Dora's Big Birthday Adventure. The error says I do not have permissions to open the application Dora's Big Birthday Adventure. Contact your adminstrator for assistance.

Joseph :

Okay, Let me check for some solutions

JACUSTOMER-yhcl54ij- :

I have a seperate login set up for her and her twin sister to try to keep things seperate.

Joseph :

I found that this issue is reported by some other mac users also.

Joseph :

Try this solution:

Joseph :

Easiest way to do it is to go up to the spotlight in the upper right hand corner of your Mac screen (it looks like a magnifying glass) click on it and type terminal. You should see an icon that looks like a black computer screen. Click on that and it will open a window that looks like the old DOS screen. You'll see something like the below in the Terminal window:

computer:~ username$

Where it says computer will be your computername and where it says username will be your username.

Copy the below line and paste it in there:

cd /Applications

Hit enter. Once it gives you another command prompt, copy the terminal command I mentioned in the earlier post, which was this:

sudo chmod -R 777 "Dora's Big Birthday Adventure.app"

Hit enter. If everything is correct, it will ask you for a password. Put in the password XXXXX your account. Hit enter after the password.

You can close the terminal application once this is done.

Here is what it should look like:

computer:~ username$ cd /Applications
computer:Applications username$ sudo chmod -R 777 "Dora's Big Birthday Adventure.app"
Password:
computer:Applications username$

JACUSTOMER-yhcl54ij- :

That seems very DOS-like for a Mac with what is supposed to be the most advanced OS out there.

Joseph :

Lets try repairing the permissions

Joseph :

Use the permissions repair function in Disk Utility:

1. To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

2. In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

3. Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Note: If a third-party application has permissions errors and did not use Apple's installer, a permissions repair may not fix everything. If you follow the steps above, and your application still does not launch, you may need to remove and reinstall the problematic applications.

Joseph :

Also try installing the game in your daughter's account.

JACUSTOMER-yhcl54ij- :

That didn't seem to help. The program runs fine under by login as I have an administrator account but it won't run under a standard user account.

Joseph :

Did you repair the permissions ?

Joseph :

Also try reinstalling. You need to install from an admin account. 2 choices. Create a folder in that users Home named applications, then return to your admin account and choose that folder as the destination. Or install from your admin account to normal system Applications folder, making it available to all users and put account limitations on the other users if you don't want them to have access to it.

Joseph :

Also a trick is ,

1) Log out from A[your daughter's account] and into the admin account
2) Using System Preferences, temporarily elevate the privileges of the A account to admin
3) Log into A
4) Run the installer
5) Log out from A and into the admin account
6) Reduce the privileges of the A account from admin back to standard