Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college

The mail wont open nor will iTunes. We get an icon saying

Customer Question

The mail won't open nor will iTunes. We get an icon saying our disk is full.

We don't know what that means.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.

Tom :

Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Tom :

What OS are you running? ie. 10.4.11 or 10.5.6

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.

Customer :

It is 10.5.8 (crap I couldn't figure out where to respond sorry)

Tom :

You have run out of hard drive space and will need to delete larger files.

Tom :

Click on the face icon on the left-hand side of the dock. Click on File and Find. Search this Mac and Click on Kind and change to size is greater to 500 MB. See what it finds and if you don't need them, please remove these files

Customer :

I've gotten to "Search this mac and click on Kind"...

Customer :

not finding anything saying "size is greater"

Tom :

Change Kind to Size

Customer :

Ok there's a bunch of weird looking stylistic graphics coming up; do I hit save or something?

Tom :

Did it finish searching?

Customer :

seems to be quieting down now hang on...

Tom :

Next to 500 please make sure it says MB and not KB

Customer :

sure enough it said kb...I've adjusted it now but do I need to re-search?

Customer :

It's searching

Tom :

ok great

Customer :

so far the only thing up is "PCM Wave"

Customer :

Seems pretty quiet now

Customer :

That's all

Tom :

Open PCM Wave and see if you need that file

Tom :

Otherwise drag it to the trash.

Tom :

Click on the face icon on the left-hand side of the dock. Click on Go and Computer. Double click your hard drive and at the very bottom it should tell you how much space is left

Tom :

Also reduce the size from 500 to 100 MB. This will bring up more files. Delete the ones you do not need. I have to log off but please let me know how you make out