Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

Programs no longer opening. Itunes, mozilla, etc. also DiskUtility

Programs no longer opening. Itunes, mozilla, etc. also DiskUtility not opening.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

What OS are you running? ie. 10.4.11 or 10.5.6

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.4.11
thanks
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Try starting your computer using safe boot. This performs some system maintenance.

To perform a safe boot do the following:

• Be sure the computer is shut down.
• Press the power button.
• Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
• Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
• Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Restart the computer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will try. back on in a sec.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did it, but it didn't resolve or improve
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Will it let you open disk utility? If not what error message do you get?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It will not. No error message. Icon just ghosts up toward me like it's opening, but nothing happens. When I try to open certain apps on the bar they just bounce, but never get the black triangle/arrow next to them.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Lets start with disk utility

Click on the picture of a face all the way on the left-hand side of your dock. Click on Go at the very top and Choose Home

This will bring up your home folder. Go into a folder called Library and then another folder called Preferences. Delete the file called com.apple.DirectoryUtility.plist

Try Disk Utility again and let me know if it opens
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
com.apple.DirectoryService.Config.plist ? the one you mention does not exist
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
DirectoryUtility doesn't exist?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
correct
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Please remove the following plist

com.apple.finder.plist

Test the applications

If they still don't work, Please log into a different account and let me know if the applications work in the new account. If you need help creating a new account let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
removed. tested apps. Still don't work
Logged into different account. apps don't work
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Is this an intel Mac or PPC mac?

If you don't know, Please let me know the processor speed

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac.

Let me know what it says next to processor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
PPC 1.67
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Please download and install 10.4.11 combo update. This will reinstall the update.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL170

Let me know if this doesn't work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
had major internet problem last night. Am downloading on different computer now. Will reply with results later this afternoon.
Thanks-
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried to install. Mac wouldn't open the dmg document...
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
OK we will install that later. You will need to check the disk and do an archive and install. You will need the 10.4.11 disks, Do you have these?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do. Can you list instructions? Then I'll complete and return to you.
thanks!
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Check the disk using Disk Utility first. If it finds errors restart after fixing them and test your applications

Insert your Mac OS X Startup disk
•Reboot your Mac
•At the Apple Chime, press the C key and hold it until you see a White screen, gray Apple and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.
•Mac will boot from the startup disk to the Installer environment.
-If you are prompted to select a language and you do not see the menu bar at the top of the screen, click the right arrow button to proceed to the next screen.

• At the very Top From the Installer Menu bar, click Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility application.
• Click on on the hard drive at the top of the window in the left sidebar and
• Select "Repair Disk"
**Let Disk Utility run this repair the disk until completion
• At the end of this process, reboot your Mac The next step would be to do an archive and install.
You will need the system disk (disk that came with the computer) or Leopard/Tiger install Disk to do the following.

If Disk Utility doesn't prove successful the next step would be to reinstall 10.4

This will reinstall your operating system but leave your files and programs intact.
Very important is to choose the archive and install option and to Preserve Users and Network Settings.

Here is directions for the Archive and Install process.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Please click on accept so that I can get paid for this question. If this solution does not work for you please let us know. Thank You
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry it's taken so long. Major problems. I followed the above directions to the letter. After performing the Archive and Install (with Preserve Users and Network Settings selected) I was asked for my login information and the info that worked prior to the arc/inst. did not work. After trying all combinations of user/password XXXXX was forced to reinstall 10.4 from the start. I lost a good bit of information. I backed up my documents folder, but lost all of our photos and itunes library.
Is there anything that can be done to find photos or itunes library?
On a happy note, though. Applications are opening!!! Problem is solved, but I aparently didn't have the proper back-ups made...any thoughts?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Click the Apple icon in the top left and choose system preferences.

Click on Accounts.

Is there just 1 account listed here or is your old account here as well?

If it is just 1 account. You will need software and an external hard drive to restore your deleted photos and itunes library.

The following software is very good at this.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college