Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college

My Imac that is a 3 year old flat screen side loading disk,

My Imac that is a 3 year old flat screen side loading disk, intel variety was downloading new itunes software and froze up on re-boot. I can now not get it to boot up, it just goes to the Apple logo and thinks forever. How can I get my mac to restart?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.

Tom :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Customer :

hi

Customer :

Hello, are you there?

Tom :

Try starting your computer using safe boot. This performs some system maintenance.

To perform a safe boot do the following:

• Be sure the computer is shut down.
• Press the power button.
• Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
• Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
• Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Restart the computer

Customer :

When you say restart the computer, to you mean hold the power until it turns off and then turn it back on?

Tom :

No, It might take 10 minutes but let it stay at the apple screen with the logo and it should come to the login screen and say safe boot

Customer :

OK, it is spinning

Customer :

still spinning

Tom :

Do you have the disks that came with your computer?

Customer :

I have been looking and think they may be in my attic burried in boxes

Tom :

ok please do the following

Customer :

Yes

Tom :

Lets try starting up in single-user mode.

1. Shut down the computer if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode. (Command-S)

This will give you white text on a black screen.
Type fsck -fy press enter

When it is finished, just type reboot

Customer :

OK it says :/root#

Customer :

is there a space between fsck -fy

Tom :

yes there is

Customer :

OK it says there is an incorrect block count... should I go ahead with the reboot

Tom :

run it 1 more time

Customer :

what do you mean

Tom :

type fsck -fy again

Customer :

it does not have the root# XXXXX front this time...does it need it

Customer :

oops...it was still doing something...now it says File system was modified and gives the root#

Tom :

o ok good. now type it again. fsck -fy

Customer :

done

Tom :

when it's finished type reboot

Customer :

It is working...it says incorrect block count...invalid sibling link, Rebuilding Catalog B-tree

Customer :

Now it says Mac HD could not be repaired

Customer :

File system modified

Customer :

root#

Tom :

Unfortunately B-tree errors will need the system disks for or another repair utility.

Customer :

OK, If I find the system disks...what can I do to save my computer and files

Tom :

Do you have another mac computer?

Customer :

no only pcs

Tom :

You will boot the computer with the disks. By doing the following.

Tom :

Insert your Mac OS X Startup disk
•Reboot your Mac
•At the Apple Chime, press the C key and hold it until you see a White screen, gray Apple and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.
•Mac will boot from the startup disk to the Installer environment.
-If you are prompted to select a language and you do not see the menu bar at the top of the screen, click the right arrow button to proceed to the next screen.

• At the very Top From the Installer Menu bar, click Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility application.
• Click on on the hard drive at the top of the window in the left sidebar and
• Select "Repair Disk"
**Let Disk Utility run this repair the disk until completion
• At the end of this process, reboot your Mac

Tom :

If disk utility doesn't fix the b-tree error which it might, the other utility that will definately fix it is called disk warrior http://www.alsoft.com/

Tom :

Please bookmark this page and let me know if you need anymore help

Customer :

OK great...if i do need disk warrior, can I download it on a pc...or will the mac be opperating enough to use it?

Customer :

should I just turn the mac off for now

Tom :

Yes I would turn it off. You can buy it at any computer store and use the disk that comes with it to boot your computer to repair it or download it onto your PC and copy it to a DVD.

Customer :

I just found the disks...there are 2

Customer :

in the attic...do I need to use both disks or just the first one?

Tom :

Just the first one

Customer :

OK man thanks, XXXXX XXXXX earned your dough for sure...will you hang out or should I sign off?

Tom :

I'll be here

Customer :

it is showing me the mouse....info...did it start up right?

Tom :

At the very top do you see Utilities?

Customer :

no

Tom :

I'm not sure what you mean about mouse info. What does it say on the screen?

Customer :

It is showing a diagram on how to put batteries in my mouse and is thinking

Tom :

O ok. It doesn't recognize a mouse connected to your computer. If you have a usb mouse, make sure it is plugged in

Customer :

no only wireless

Tom :

Try turning your mouse off and turning it back on again

Customer :

can i use a pc mouse

Tom :

yes you can

Tom :

if it is USB

Customer :

Ok it recognizes the mouse and there is a blinking right arrow on the diagram...do I need to follow the instructions...this seems like a set up to me

Tom :

yes please do. Click the right arrow and then Utilities should appear on the top

Customer :

Ok it is asking me to use English...I see the utilities and will follow your instructions...be back later

Tom :

ok

Customer :

OK the repair stopped and it says "Invalid Sibling link" Volume check failed

Customer :

Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit

Customer :

1hfs volume checked 1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

Customer :

I ran the repair on my 298 gig wdc

Customer :

There is also a 5.1 gig matshitadvd

Tom :

Unfortunately you will need a stronger repair utility. Disk Warrior is a great tool for this. Disk Utility does repair many errors but this one will need something stronger

Tom :

You can the repair on the correct drive. The 298 gig wdc is your hard drive

Tom :

I meant you say You ran the repair on the correct drive

Customer :

cool...I am way out in the country...do you think buying online with a pc and burning a disk will work?

Tom :

I just checked and the download will not enable you to run it from a DVD. So you will unfortunately have to wait for the DVD to ship in the mail

Tom :

You can also order it here. Other World is normally pretty quick. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Alsoft/WDD105/

Tom :

Let me know if you need anymore help and please click accept. Bookmark this page and I'll be happy to help you with Disk Warrior

Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college