Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

I just bought a Sabrent USB2 floppy disk drive for my Mac.

Customer Question

I just bought a Sabrent USB2 floppy disk drive for my Mac. I am running Mac OSX 10.6.4.
My Mac does not see the usb drive. What can I do to get my mac to see the drive?

Jim
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
What type of mac do you have? macbook, imac, etc..

Do you have other usb devices?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have an iMac 9.1.

Other USB devices are a printer, keyboard, mouse.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Make sure you are connecting this to your imac and not the keyboard or usb hub.

Remove the printer and plug it into that port.

Do the following:

Reset the pram. To do so do the following:

Step 1: Shutdown your computer

Step 2: Locate the following 4 keys on the keyboard: Command (Apple key) , Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 3. You must do step 3 prior to the Apple logo from appearing on the screen otherwise you must shutdown and try again.

Step 3: Turn on computer and immediately hold down the Command (Apple key ) & Option & P & R key all at the same time.

Keep holding them down. The computer will restart and on the third time you hear a chime you can let go and your computer will start up as normal.

Let me know if it now works
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Went through above instructions twice. Double clicked on Disk Utility. Floppy Drive was not listed.

Any other ideas?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried a few different disks?

Whar size are the floppies? ie. 1.44MB
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried two disks. Both disks are over 10 years old. One is 1.44 MB, the other is a double sided micro floppy.

The floppy drive still doesn't show up as a drive.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
I'm opting out of this question to see if another expert has an idea. Thanks for your patience while we look into this issue