iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

Greetings, I have a couple of new issues that I cant find

Greetings, I have a couple of new issues that I can't find a mac article on......1. iTunes automatically starts up at "startup". I have looked through all of the preferences for iTunes and sys prefs and can't seem to make that stop......2. for some new reason, my network connection has to be reconnected in the networks settings every time my imac sleeps or is powered off? This is the same computer that I have had other (since resolved) issues. Help if you can.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac :

Hi , I would like to help .

Customer :

thanx

iteachmac :

Hi , Login item are found in Apple menu , system preferences , Accounts control panel , Your account . Login items , to remove select and delete.

iteachmac :

Also if your running OSX 10.6 , you can right click on an item in the dock , and go options to see remove from start at login , or add etc.

iteachmac :

If you dont have right click , hold CRT left click .

Customer :

ok iTunes helper was checked but iTunes application was not....I unchecked the iTunes hep box....

iteachmac :

itunes helper should be in there ok .

Customer :

I'm still using 10.5.8

iteachmac :

unchecking does not stop the login start . That is for hide etc. you have to remove it from the list , the helper should be in there . I will check .

Customer :

say again.......are you saying : leave iTunes helper checked?

iteachmac :

Well I dont have it in there , this end , so remove it .

iteachmac :

Checking the box just hides it at login . remove it using delete .

iteachmac :

remove it from the login item list .

iteachmac :

The function of the tick just hides the app at login .

iteachmac :

Hide = you wont see it launch .

Customer :

if I remove it ....it only affects iTunes at login ....right?

iteachmac :

that should fix that issue . are you running OSX 10.6 snow leopard ?

iteachmac :

Ok I see 10 .5 .

Customer :

10.5.8

iteachmac :

Just remove items from the accounts login items list .

iteachmac :

The other issue was network problem ?

Customer :

ok ...got rid of both iTunes application and iTunes help..........now next issue

iteachmac :

are you wireless connection . ?

Customer :

yes......apple extreme

iteachmac :

Ok, this may be a bug , so to fix . we have to remove all the connections . I will get the details . 1 sec . .

iteachmac :

Hi , here's a guide to setup wireless connections , after this please see DHCP for Ethernet connections , to bottom .

Please can you go in to the Apple menu , system preferences , Network control panel , and press - on all the connections in the list one by one to remove them.

Then press + for each device one by one .

-

please try to follow these steps for setting up wireless connection .

1 Go to the Apple menu , System preference .

2 Open the network control panel pane .

3 Choose edit locations from the drop down menu in , network pane .

4 Click the + button to add a new location .

5 Name the location "new"

6 Select the NEW location from the drop down menu , in the network pane .

7 Click on airport for the new location , from side list .

8 Turn airport on if it is off .

9 In the network name , choose your Wireless SSID , if you do not see it , use the join other network and select your routers SSID. , type in the name and , select the type of security used , in most cases it will be either WPA2 personal , or WEP , enter your network password XXXXX

10 Tick the show airport in display bar option .

11 Click advanced button .

12 Go to the airport tab , add the SSID if its not shown it the list .

13 Go to the TCP/IP tab in advanced , select use DHCP

14 At the top of the screen use the new airport menu to join the network.

15 In the TCP/IP settings tab , you should now see your have a connection to the router .
and your IP address , subnet mask etc is now automatically filled in .

16 You should now be online , and connected to your LAN network . "local area"

Extra wireless setup info :-

Things to do before setting up your router :

Find a clear channel :

Try to pick a channel no one else is using next door , this tool can help find a clear unused channel . .
WiFi Scanner v1.1 **use this to check your wifi on the mac is working too :)
http://www.wlanbook.com/mac-os-x-wifi-scanner-snow-leopard/

Once installed , look inside your Applications folder to see the app , Wifi scanner .

Launch it , and find out if there's any other networks in your area , and what channel their on , you don't want to be on the same channel so set your router to another channel in the mid range , channel 5 , 6 , 7 or 8 depending on other wifi networks close to you etc .

Router firmware update : update the router to the latest firmware , see the routers Manufactures website for this or update from inside the router config page.

Your router must be setup to provide DHCP .

This is standard in most cases .

You need to check the router is setup for DHCP , " to provide DHCP for network connections ". and not setup as a extender or access point , it must allocate ip addresses using DHCP .

You need to check you are connected using DHCP and automatic mode on your Mac .

Open Apple menu system preference , network control panel .

Choose the Airport in the list .

Choose using DHCP

Click advanced ,

Set configure ip6 address to auto .

Choose proxies tab .

Select use passive FTP mode ticked on .

Close the advance panel .

The airport connection in the left panel should be green ,
i.e Green = connected to your router .

The DHCP ip address that is set automatically by the router .

The ip may read 10.0.1.2 or 10.0.1.3 or 192.168.0.2 etc .

Close all control panels .

Reset the router if need be.

Reboot both mac and Pcs if need be to test.

iteachmac :

You may not need this part . :-

iteachmac :

Ethernet & DHCP setup .

Connect the Mac to the router using a good known working Ethernet lead ,
use a non yellow in colour lead .
Yellow leads are in most cases cross over Ethernet leads and connections are reversed at one end .

1 Open Apple menu system preferences , network control panel .

2 Select your Ethernet port from the left list .

3 Click advanced and then TCPIP. or the TCPIP TAB.

4 Select Using DHCP from the control panel menu.

5 The setting should now automatically fill in .

6 Press ok , or close the window.

7 The Ethernet port you selected should now be Green to show its connected.

8 Under the proxies Tab , Check on "Use passive FTP mode". All other Proxies options off.

9 In the Ethernet tab select configure "Automatically"

8 Test the internet .

-

I hope this helps .

Thanks.

iteachmac :

Clearing all connections with - , should reset the Macs connections , you will have to add them again after .

iteachmac :

as described above .

iteachmac :

You may also like to , reboot the Mac , holding shift key on a usb or built in keyboard to do some repairs , a bar will indicate basic repairs , this may also help . the mac will boot after a while please wait , , after the boot ..reboot normally with no shift key held .

iteachmac :

when rebooting , keep holding shift key till the bar comes on screen center .

iteachmac :

Once booted , reboot as normal .

Customer :

there is no "Use passive FTP mode" in that list

iteachmac :

This should fix the problem .

iteachmac :

See under the other tabs in network .

iteachmac :

It may be under , advanced , then proxies tab .

iteachmac :

You must select the port , Airport etc , to find the correct tab .

Customer :

There is an FTP Proxy tab....is that the one?

iteachmac :

The tabs , each reflect setting for each of the ports , or ways to connect . Ethernet , Airport , blue tooth and so on .

iteachmac :

Yes , from OSX version to version the labels change just a little .

iteachmac :

It is the same thing . Proxies tab .

iteachmac :

In OSX snow , its under Advanced , Proxies

Customer :

ethernet port did not turn green but the airport tab is still green

iteachmac :

Yes your not using Ethernet , so this is ok . Green means connected . Ethernet is a wired connection directly to the router .

iteachmac :

If you dont have a cable for Ethernet plugged in , this is ok .

iteachmac :

as you have Airport , you dont need this .

Customer :

ok, ok....so just reboot now?

iteachmac :

But still setup will remain , standing by .

iteachmac :

Yes hold the shift key till booted , then reboot as normal .

iteachmac :

are you on a second computer now ?

iteachmac :

Or I will lose you . :)

Customer :

ok iteachmac....i'm gonna accept your help and reboot and if i need you i'll get back to you...thanx for your help

iteachmac :

ok that good :) , Let me know If still have the sleep issue .

iteachmac :

It normally fixes it .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

Customer :

one other thing....i have to do this with a wired keyboard don't i?

iteachmac :

Yes if you have bluetooth , it wont work holding shift . .

iteachmac :

Bluetooth , does not start to work till login .

iteachmac :

It must be held , while rebooting , powering on etc .

Customer :

ok...i'll return shortly....thanx again

iteachmac :

A PC USB KB will work also ..

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing