Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have an old Mac that is running OS X 10.4.2, and I have a

I have an old Mac that is running OS X 10.4.2, and I have a newer Mac running OS X 10.5.8. When I tried to move files from the old computer to the new one I was unable to open the old files. I was advised by a Mac repair place that the only thing to do is to install the operating system from the older computer on the newer one.

Is that true?

Isn't there a better way?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Which method did you use to transfer files ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried emailing the files, and I tried copying them to a disk and then taking them to the new computer.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
What type of files are the 'old files' ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Most of them are in Microsoft Word which is installed on both computers, the email ones were written on Aol and I think are in HTML, but it doesn't work in TEXT either. The newer computer does not have any AOL software. I switched to another ISP.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Can't you open the Word documents ? Are you getting any errors when you open them ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO, I cannot open the word documents either. I see a little icon of a blank sheet of paper and when I try to open it I get a message that says it is unopenable.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
May be they're corrupted during the transfer. the documents should open in Word unless it is corrupted. The best way to transfer files from one Mac to another is Target Disk Mode. Buy a Firewire cable and connect both the Macs with the firewire cable and startup in Target Disk Mode. Please read more about Target Disk Mode from here :

You can get firewire cable from local electronics store, radio shock etc

Let me know how it goes..

Best Regards,