Mike, Mac Maestro
Experience:  Apple Consultants Network, Apple Certified
50721714

I have two IMac desktops. One in Vermont and one in Florida

Customer Question

I have two IMac desktops. One in Vermont and one in Florida. Both use comcast.
Florida e-mail rejects password XXXXX use for Vermont machine. Comcast says all the
settings are right
When I open the accounts page there are 8 stars in the password XXXXX but none of the passwords I have tried, when asked, match - I guess - because none work
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First step: Verify that you can log onto the webmail account to verify your password XXXXX XXXXX the problem. If webmail logs in, the problem is with the email client. Which email program do you use? (Apple Mail, Entourage, ???)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
e-mail program is, I think, Apple mail. It is the one with the stamp icon.
I can get my mail if I go to comcast.net and click "get mail" but I can't
send and incoming mail does not come to my computer mail box
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like your Apple Mail is not set-up correctly. Do you know if you are using POP or iMap mail server (the set-up and methods are different. If you are not sure, please open Apple Mail and goto Mail Preferences. Click on Accounts and find your set-u in the left. Click on it and tell me whats on the page for Incoming Mail Server.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am using POP server
Under accounts it shows dikellyvt@comcast
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK - I would like you to try adding and account (iMAP) - as this is more secure and reliable, especially if you are using multiple computers. After we get it set up, we can copy mail you need to save from the other account. OK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to let comcast know about this?
How am I paying for this help?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please disregard my earlier message. Just discovered that consumer Comcast accounts do not support iMap. We will have to try to get your POP working correctly.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please go to the mail preferences as before, but this time, click on Advanced. Please tell me what appears.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK but I still need to know how I pay for this service
Advanced mail checked
Enable this acct
Include this etc.
Remove copy after 1 week
Port 110
Authentication Password

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You have agreed to pay $19 for an acceptable answer. When you feel that I have answered your issue you can ACCEPT my answer and your credit card will be charged. If I have not answered your question, do not accept and there will be no charge. When you accept, you are given the opportunity to provide feedback about my service, and an optional opportunity to pay a bonus if I have provided exceptional service. Is that OK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
What else do you need to get me so I can send emails
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK. In the email preferences, Click on Accounts/Account Information. Where it is labeled Outgoing Email Server (SMTP) Click on the dropdown and select Edit SMTP Server list. Tell me what you see.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Server name smtp.comcast.net
User name dikellyvt
In use by account XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
check to be sure that the server name is XXXXX XXXXX in the Advanced button. Uncheck SSL. Check that the port changes to 25. Set authentication to Password. Be sure that the username isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX where nnnnn=your user name, and enter your password. Click OK - then click the red button in the upper left corner and save if asked. Then try to send an email. If you get an error, please let me know the exact message. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should server name be just smtp:comcast.net
it is set as smtp.comcast.net:dikellyvt
should I delete :dikellyvt
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The server name should be set as smtp.comcast.net. It will display with your username after being set.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I deleted the password XXXXX was in there and put in the working one from VT
Wrote email and tried to send.
Error message as follows:
Can't be delivered (sic) remain in out box
Verify that you have addressed this message
correctly. Check your SMTP server settings in
Mail preferences and verify any advanced settings
with your system admiinistrator
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I forgot to ask you if you are actually connected to Comcast Internet at the location you are at right now, or is it another Internet Provider?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Looks like it has to be set for Port 587 with SSL OFF to work:

On the SMTP Server Options screen, enter smtp.comcast.net as your Outgoing Mail Server.

Make sure the Server port is specifically set to 587.

Set Authentication is set to Password XXXXX enter your e-mail user name and password.

Click OK to return to the Account window.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
All done. Should I try an email?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Sorry I was delayed getting back to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rats!!! Same error report. Is there any chance
my original password XXXXX XXXXX away somewhere
in the computer. Keychain??
We are on our way out to dinner. Will check in
when we return. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You should delete any of the earlier passwords from the keychain. If you need instructions, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need instruction
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Goto Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access. Click the lock in the upper left corner of the KeyChain Access Window. authenticate with your admin user id/password.Click on login in the left window. Click on Passwords in the same column, under Category. Look through the list for any Comcast items. When you see one that might be for your mail password XXXXX double-click to open it. Click on Show Password XXXXX in the lower left corner to reveal saved password XXXXX that item. If not the right one, just close it and go to the next. If it is the one you want to delete, close the Window that opened with the double-click. Highlight the item in KeyChain Access and click the delete key. Confirm that you want to delete the item - and it should delete it.