R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin

Hi, I have a Mac Book that just suddenly quit. It wont powe

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Mac Book that just suddenly quit. It won't power on, like it's dead. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'll be glad to help you with this, but I need a little more information first:

1. Does the power light come on, on the end of the power adapter the connects to your MacBook?

2. Have you disconnected everything from the MacBook, except for the power cord?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. When I plug the power cord into the MacBook, the green charge light does come on but just barely, its lit at about 50%. We actually couldn't tell in a bright light that it was on.

2. Yes, everythign is disconnected from the MacBook.

I appreciate all your help on this.

Lori

This troubleshooting step is posted as an answer, per site policy, but don't accept it until you're satisfied that it has answered your original question.

Go ahead and unplug the MacBook, put the battery back in it, leave the whole works unplugged for at least one (1) minute, plug the power adapter into the wall outlet, then plug the power cord into the laptop and try to turn it on again.

Let me know if this doesn't work and we'll progress to the next item at that time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I tried all of this making sure I waited at least the 1 full minute, still no luck!

What is next?

Lori

Go ahead and check the power connector for signs of something being broken or stuck in it. If there isn't anything stuck in it, press and hold the Control - Command - Power buttons for three seconds, then try to power on normally.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cord & connector both look fine, I even blew in them to make sure there wasn't anything that I couldn't see!

Still nothing after holding the Control - Command - Power buttons for 3 secs.

:-(

Thanks ...

Press the power button, then hold down the Command - Option - P - R key sequence to reset the PRAM (if this works, you should hear the startup chime at least twice while you continue to hold down those keys). If that doesn't work, I'll need to know if this is just a MacBook, or if it is a MacBook Air. Let me know and we can go from there if we still need to.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still nothing ....

This is just a regular small white MacBook.

Remove the battery and power cord, the press and hold the power button for five (5) seconds. When that is done, reinstall the battery and power cord and try to power the MacBook on again. If that still doesn't do it, have you added extra RAM recently?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope, nothing.

I have not added anything to this MacBook at all.

I don't know if it will help to tell you what it did before this unresponsiveness. It was working fine Friday morning, then I went to Log in & it wasn't recognizing any keystrokes to log me in, so I shut it down & it wouldn't restart. I have gotten no response since.

Thanks,Lori

With the weak power signal, there's only one more thing to try before taking it in for service. If you can, try a different power cord. Short of that, you'll need to get it to an Apple-authorized service center. Let me know if you need help locating one and I'll be happy to lend a hand.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much!

Right here right now I am at work & only have the 1 power cord. I do have a friend with a MacBook, I can try his later in the week.

Can you give me info about the Service centers? Like what it costs for them to looka t it etc ... ? Also, I don't think there is 1 in my area, would appreciate your help on that very much. I am in central, IL Zip: 61951.

Thanks,

Lori

I don't know what their pricing looks like, but here is a list of eight service centers in that general area:

Illini Media Tech Center
512 E Green St
Champaign, IL 61820

C U Computing XXXXX
Champaign, IL 61820

Micropower Computer
923 S 5th St
Springfield, IL 62703

Connecting Point Computer Center
1306 E Empire St
Bloomington, IL 61701

Macxprts Illinois XXXXX
Edwardsville, IL 62025

Klaus Companies
8400 N Allen Rd
Peoria, IL 61615

Asi Systems Integration Inc XXXXX
Lafayette, IN 47901

Digital Partners Incorporated XXXXX
Saint Louis, MO 63105
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,

I guess there are some closer than I thought!

I appreciate all your help!

You're most welcome. If you need any further assistance with regard to this matter, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll be glad to lend a hand. If you need assistance with any other matter, please feel free to ask for me by name and I'll be happy to help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here