Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

Got iBook G4 as used gift. No disk. Need new admin pswd. Cheapest

Customer Question

Got iBook G4 as "used" gift.
No disk.
Need new admin pswd.
Cheapest way?
Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 4 years ago.
I can help you with this. Do you what version of mac os x it's running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OSX 10.4.8
Ok follow the following set. This will get it so you can reset your local password. Power on or restart your Mac.
At the chime (or gray screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
Type sh /etc/rc and press Enter/Return.
Type passwd username and replace “username” with the short name of the user account for which you’d like to reset the password.
Type your desired password XXXXX press Enter. It won’t show itself on the screen, so be careful what you type. You will most likely have to enter it again to confirm.
Type reboot and press Enter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
followed your directions tried 3x
got black screen where you write code
says code or whatever does not exist
What command are you typing in when it says that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your directions said to type username and replace username with the short name of the user account for which you'd like to reset the password.
I typed in my username and rec'd "command not found."
Ok let's try making another account. We are going to do this but making it so the first setup will running. Please do the following steps and let me know how it goes.

Power on or restart your Mac (should work for any Mac OS X system).
This step is optional, but it’s a good idea because it checks the consistency of the hard disk before moving on. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter/Return. Wait for the checks to complete before going to the next step.
Type mount -uw / and press Enter.
Type rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and press Enter.
Type shutdown -h now and press Enter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After each step (above) the screen says either file not found
or no such directory.
This is what has happened before.
Can you type in here what your type in single user mode so I can see why this isn't working.