Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

Fans have started going crazy on my iMac. Have tried all resets

Fans have started going crazy on my iMac. Have tried all resets from net with no luck.

Can it be fixed?

Lee
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi Lee and thanks for using Just Answer.com

Omer Mushahwar :

When the fans starting going are you doing anything in particular or is it just running loud all the time

Customer : Just running loud as soon as I turn it on
Omer Mushahwar :

Alright can you tell me the version of MAC OSx you are using on the machine and the model of the IMAC you have?

Customer : Mac OS X
Customer : 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
Customer : Imac 9,1
Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks for that one second please

Customer : Serial number:vm9211hooth
Omer Mushahwar :

Also can you tell me how recently this mac was purchased?

Customer : May 2009
Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks for that and this problem just started recently?

Customer : About 6 weeks ago
Omer Mushahwar :

Have you unplugged your mac since then?

Omer Mushahwar :

\

Customer : Yes just to try thE resets suggested on the net
Omer Mushahwar :

This may sound simply but sometimes a power surge can get into the power supply and unplugging the actual power cable from the back of the computer for say about 20 - 25 seconds and plugging it back it can clear it out

Omer Mushahwar :

ah ok one second please

Omer Mushahwar :

Have you tried running a hardware test?

Customer : How do I do that?
Omer Mushahwar :

Ill provide the steps but could you tell me the version of OSX that came installed on your machine 10.4.x 10.5.x 10.6.x and let me know what the x number is

Omer Mushahwar :

you can find out your current version by clicking the apple in the upper right hand corner and selecting about this mac

Customer : 10.5.8
Omer Mushahwar :

Alright do you have your OSX installation disc?

Customer : Yes
Omer Mushahwar :

ok we will need that does it say a version number on the mac osx disc

Omer Mushahwar :

I ask because the hard ware test tool is on one or the other depending on the version of software

Customer : 10.5.6
Omer Mushahwar :

perfect thanks

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok with 10.5.5 or later Apple Hardware Test is located on the Applications Install Disc 2 Please place that in your cd drive for right now

Customer : Its in
Omer Mushahwar :

Then if you can please disconnect anything from the MAC like a printing or scanner just leave the monitor keyboard and mouse connected

Customer : Mouse and keyboard are wireless everything else is out
Omer Mushahwar :

Alright now please book mark this chat as the next steps will involve you restarting and going into the hardware tests so we wont be able to chat while its running you can book mark it or use this link http://www.justanswer.com/questions/461i8-fans-have-started-going-crazy-on-my-imac-have-tried-all-resets

Customer : I am currently chatting to you on my Ipad with the computer in front of me
Omer Mushahwar :

1. With the disc in the drive please restart your mac.

2. Press and hold the "D" key before the gray startup screen appears.

3. It takes a minute or so for Apple Hardware Test to start up and inspect your hardware configuration. While this is taking place, an icon appears on the screen:

When the process is complete, select your language and click the right arrow. If you aren't using a mouse, you can use the up and down arrows to select a language and then press the Return key.

4. The Apple Hardware Test console appears. You can choose which sort of test or tests to perform:

Omer Mushahwar :

Oh thats good

Omer Mushahwar :

When you get to step 4 it should ask if you want to run the basic diagnostic or the advance i would run the advance as its more thorough

Omer Mushahwar :

Lee I have to step away from my computer for a quick minute be right back please let me know how the test is going once its started be back in just a minute

Customer : OK
Omer Mushahwar :

Back

Customer : Error 4SNS/1/40000000: TA0P-130.000 has come up
Omer Mushahwar :

while running the hardware scan?

Customer : Yes
Omer Mushahwar :

Alright one second

Omer Mushahwar :

Alright essentially that code is a sensor error, usually relating to the temperature sensor

Omer Mushahwar :

Which in your case would case your fans to spin like crazy if the computer thinks its hotter than it is

Omer Mushahwar :

Begin that its a hardware issue at this point there isnt much other trouble shooting we can do,

One thing you can try is to get a can of compressed air and clean out the inside of the mac while a long shot sometimes it can be a simple matter of too much dust in the machine if that doesnt work however, I would suggest you should take this to an Apple repair center for checkout.

Customer : Thanks Omer, can the temperature sensors be replaced on these Macs?
Omer Mushahwar :

Yes they are a piece that can be replaced/fixed.

Customer : Great thanks
Omer Mushahwar :

You are more than welcome is there anything else I can help you with

Customer : No that's it
Omer Mushahwar :

Alright well thanks for using Just Answer.com, If you feel we have solved your issue please click accept answer so we may close the question

Omer Mushahwar :

Thanks again and have a great day

Customer : Although we haven't fixed it at least I now know what's going on.
Customer : Thanks again Omer
Omer Mushahwar :

You are welcome thanks

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis