Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis

I tried to send an email message with too many photos attached.

I tried to send an email message with too many photos attached. I have a MacBookPro that is only one year old. I haven't been able to retrieve any new messages in that email address since. That email address also is continuing to show a spinning wheel which would normally indicate that mail is being retrieved. I am using gmail but normally go through the mail icon on my MacBookPro. Now I can only get email by using the Safari.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Omer Mushahwar :

Could you tell me when you open the mail program is the mail with all the picture attachments still in the outbox?

Customer :

It doesn't appear to be, but my mail has been screwed up ever since. I can't receive on mymcduffy and it is constantly seeking to "get mail", indicated by the spinning wheel. I did send a message successfully.

Customer :

Omar,

Customer :

I have a dentist appointment at 1:30 and must leave home at 1:00pm.

Customer :

I haven't found any answers at all from just answer> Am I missing something?

Customer :

Omar has entered and exited four times in two minutes. What is going on?

Customer :

I don't know where to find the "expert's post".

Customer :

so I can't review it.

Customer :

Omar,

Customer :

Are you there?

Customer :

Omar,

Customer :

Omar, are you there?

Customer :

Omar, I am going to exit for five minutes since you are not responding. I will be back to see if you have resumed chatting at 12:35pm. Kathleen

Customer :

Did you get the latest info I just sent about mail activity?

Customer :

I am ready to quit this whole thing because our chat doesn't appear to be working. I am truly sorry, but I don't want to pay if I don't get any help. You can email me later or tomorrow if it starts working. Kathleen

Hi I am sorry I seem to be having an issue with the chat windows so I had to switch over to Q&A format as it wouldn't let me in to chat.

Ok so when you open mail you don't see anything in the outbox or any other folder your large email is stuck in?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. But, as I told you, I am 65 and not tech savvy. In the mail activity area on the left side, there is nothing there. I just may not know where to look.

Now I see that you cannot receive any email but can you send out mail using the mail program?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You haven't solved the problem yet, Omar. What do I do to be able to receive mail and stop the spinning wheels?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will come back to this tomorrow at noon, California time. If I can't find an answer that works at that time, I am not going to pay. So far, I have found only questions and no answers. Goodbye for today, Kathleen

Yes I know I haven't solved the issue you

the statement of if i solved your problem is in my signature file and posts on each post I make, I was not trying to convey that we have solved your issue.

The main answer here is we are going to have to remove your gmail account from the mail program. Once we remove it we will then add it back into the program and see if we cannot get you working and using the mail program quickly

Now to delete out your gmail account from the mail program

Do the following

In Mail, from the Mail menu, select Preferences... .

Click Accounts, and then highlight the account you want to delete.

Click the - (minus sign) button.

When prompted, click OK. You may then close the Mail preferences window.

Now to add gmail to your mac mail

Select Mail | Preferences... from the menu.

Go to the Accounts tab.

Click the plus sign under the accounts list.

Type your name under Full Name:.

Enter your Gmail address under Email Address:.

Now enter your Gmail password XXXXX Password:.

Make sure Automatically set up account is not checked.

Click Continue.

Make sure IMAP is selected under Account Type:.

Type "imap.gmail.com" (not including the quotation marks) under Incoming Mail

Server:.

Verify your Gmail account name (what precedes "@gmail.com" in your Gmail address)appears under User Name:.

Click Continue.

Type "Gmail" under Description: for the Outgoing Mail Server.

Check Use Authentication is checked and that your Gmail account name appears underUser Name:.

Click Continue.

Verify the Account Summary reads like this:

Click Create.

Go to your newly set up Gmail account's Mailbox Behaviors tab.

Check Store junk messages on the server.

Make sure Never is selected under Delete junk messages when:.

Now make sure Never is selected under Permanently erase deleted messages when:

Close the preferences window.

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 11/1/2010 at 8:04 PM EST
Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Omar, I got as far as eliminatingXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with no problem, but then got lost. When I set up the new mymcduffy I didn't see where to "Make sure Automatically set up account is not checked." I couldn't find that at all. Can we have a live chat to help me through this now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey, there is hope. I am going to pay you. The wheel has stopped spinning. The mail is still not named correctly but I have received mail. Thank you very much. If you can just help me to get the mail box named correctly on the left hand side of the page, I think I will be all done.

Hi Sorry for the delay in my response So your email is setup and now you are receiving and sending email?

To rename your mailbox please do the following

Open Mail and, if necessary, choose Show Mailboxes from the View menu to see your mailboxes.

To change the name of a mailbox, select it and choose Rename Mailbox from the Mailbox menu.

Then you should be able to name it back to what it was before and be all set.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I looked under View at the top of the page, and there is no "Show Mailboxes".

Ok can you tell me the exact version of Mail you are using?

I maybe looking at a different version sorry.

Show mailboxes should be under the view menu but if you already see the mailboxes you can skip that step

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Version 4.3 (1081)
I am going to try and do what you said and I will be back to you in a couple of minutes. Please hang around so we can finish if you possibly can. Thanks, Kathleen
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found "rename mailbox" but it is "grayed out".

Hi Kathleen,

Please make sure you have first clicked on and selected the box you want to rename then go an select the rename command and it should work

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Omar, I am going to call apple where I have paid help for another year already. I tried them first with this problem, but they didn't help as much as you did. I am going to accept your answer now even though I still cannot rename the mailbox although I have selected it. You have at least enabled me to receive mail and have fixed the crazy spinning problem. I'm sure they can at least help me rename the box. Help is easier for me if I an talking with the person and takes less time. Have a nice day. I am sorry I took so much of your time, but that's the price you pay when a techless person writes! Kathleen