Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

at start up no apple just a file with a overlaid question mark.

at start up no apple just a file with a overlaid question mark. model a118, is it dead or what can be done to have it revived? Thank you.
It could be a few things. Most likely I'm betting it's the hard drive is bad or the the operating system got messed up. Do you still have the restore discs for the machine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes.
Ok. Boot up the computer using the restore discs. This can be done by put the first disc in the computer and holding down the c key while it powers up. After the computer is booted with the disc click on the utilizes menu on the file menu and click on disk utility. If your hard drive doesn't show up, I would say you drive went bad most likely. If you drive does show up click on the first aid tab and click on verify disk.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will need to look for disc(thought I knew where it was) and do as you instructed. When I do so is verify disk my last step, assuming my hard drive is not dead?
If the drive isn't dead it's not the last step.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well I can't do anything without the disk do I get a reference# XXXXX do I pay again?
If you keep replying in this question you don't have to pay again. Just so you know I don't get paid till you accept the answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you I will find disk and keep replying to this question and pay once I know either way.