Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis

I just bought the new iphone 4. My old phone was the iphone

I just bought the new iphone 4. My old phone was the iphone 3.....how do i get my contacts from the 3 onto my new 4????
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 3 years ago.

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Can you please tell me what you synced your IPHONE 3 with to put contacts on it?

IE Mobile Me, Outlook .....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The AT & T store told me to sync it on itunes

Yes when you plug in your iphone 3

if you click on the iphone in itunes

click on the info tab that appears in Itunes

You should see something that says Sync Contacts with

Is that setup for your Iphone 3?

If that is it means your iphone 3 is backing up its contacts to the selected program

which in that case you can then plug in the Iphone 4 and check the box to sync contacts with and pick the same program and your contacts will then sync to the new phone

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did this....but when I plugged in the iphone 3 it wanted to update it...once it was updated then it restored it. then when I plugged inthe iphone 4 nothing happened???
Ok when you plugged in the 3 and went to the info tab what did it say the contacts were syncing with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that was done but still no contacts from old phone are on new phone???

Ok the reason you probably aren't getting contacts is your IPHONE 3 is actually not setup currently to sync its contacts with your computer.

What you need to do is plug in the iphone 3, Setup the SYNC contacts by checking the box and selecting the type of program you want to sync the contacts with be it outlook or windows contacts... once you sync the contacts on the phone will be backed up to your computer

Then you need to plug in the iphone 4 go to the info tab once again CHECK the Sync Contacts with box and select the same program you used for the iphone 3 and it should sync the contacts to your new phone

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
by contacts....I mean the phone numbers of everyone I have entered into iphone 3

Yes all your saved numbers are contacts

If this route is not working you can do a backup of your Iphone 3 then restore the back up of your Iphone 3 to your Iphone 4

To do this plug in your Iphone 3 then right click on it in Itunes you should see the option for BACKUP

Once the backup is complete plug in your Iphone 4 right click on it and say restore from backup and select the backup of your Iphone 3 this would put all the information from your 3 onto your 4

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ah......that did it!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!

You are more than welcome if you feel we have solved your issue please accept the answer so we may close the question.

And thanks for using just answer.com