OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

i have a mac book running safari 10.6.4 and I run yahoo messenger.

i have a mac book running safari 10.6.4 and I run yahoo messenger. last night before i even logged in my IM it sent messages to all my contacts. i turned off my wifi internet connection uninstalled yahoo messenger with Clean My mac and ran ProtectMac Antivirus through everything; reloaded yahoo messenger and now during the day it has done it again. Help!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Did you change the password XXXXX your Yahoo! account yet?

Customer :

no forgot about that

Customer :

if I repeat what i did last night and change password XXXXX that work

OSXpert :

I can almost guarantee someone has your Yahoo! password XXXXX your scenario is pretty common. Spammers steal passwords, then log into the account (email, IM, etc...) and send messages to the entire contact list...usually advertising porn and cheap pharmaceuticals

Customer :

yeah great internet world!!

OSXpert :

I know what you mean -- it can be brutal at times

OSXpert :

I would recommend you change your password XXXXX Then, change the password XXXXX any other accounts that have a login name that is the same or similar to that of your Yahoo! account

Customer :

so what do i need to do in what order?

Customer :

ok

Customer :

will that cure the problem

Customer :

for now lol

OSXpert :

hopefully :)

OSXpert :

Change your Yahoo! password XXXXX and the sooner the better

OSXpert :

Then change any other account that uses that same login/password XXXXX

Customer :

how often should i change my password

OSXpert :

Well, if you pick a good password, I personally don't think you need to change it on any regular interval. Lot's of businesses enforce a mandatory password XXXXX every 60-90 days. I think this is a bad idea because it forces people to write down their passwords on paper which is much more prone to theft as opposed to the password XXXXX memorized

OSXpert :

Just make sure you pick something with at least 8 characters, use a combination of upper/lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols (whenver possible)

Customer :

my password XXXXX 11 letters 2 numbers and 2 symbols

Customer :

ok i will mix it up even more

OSXpert :

that sounds like a good password XXXXX also, make sure the alpha portion is not based on a dictionary word

Customer :

ok and i have all lower case so I will add uppercase

OSXpert :

but also, be cautious about where you type in your password (i.e. public computers) -- viruses are also a concern, but they are much less likely to be encountered on a Mac

Customer :

i have many password XXXXX 2 accts are the same and only one other similar

Customer :

ok

OSXpert :

That sounds like good practice to me

Customer :

thanks you all are always helpful

OSXpert :

I'm glad we have been able to help you :) Let me know if you have more questions or need more advice.

Customer :

thanks

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin