OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Hello... I am switching from Blackberry to the new iphone

Customer Question

Hello... I am switching from Blackberry to the new iphone 4.... I have all my contacts and calendar up to date on my macbook pro. When I connect the iphone to the mac it automatically syncs, but does not transfer the contacts or the ical... only itunes content. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. Also.. I have signed up for mobile me - with the understanding that I would be able to keep track of my everything on the work pc, my home mac and my iphone and I have yet to figure out that stupid program - doesn't seem to do anything for me... any suggestions as to what email I should be using.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer :

Hi Britton

OSXpert :

Hello...

OSXpert :

so you have a new iPhone?

Customer :

Yes... and I'm not sure that's a good thing!!!

OSXpert :

yeah, they really are nice to use -- I use one myself

OSXpert :

Anyhow, you're wanting to sync your contacts/calendar with your new iPhone -- correct?

Customer :

I think I just need to get use to it... and if I could get everything synced together it would be a huge bonus.

Customer :

Yes... itunes isn't doing it for me

Customer :

syncs the apps and the songs, that's it

OSXpert :

gotcha, you need to specifically tell iTunes to sync your calendar -- however, you signed up for mobileMe, correct?

Customer :

I did... but I can't figure out that dang program either!

OSXpert :

are you using a Mac?

Customer :

Both... at present I am at work... windows XP - at home I have Windows 7 and a mac laptop... I was planning on using the mac to sync the phone.

Customer :

I have mobile me on the mac and on the windows 7 computer

OSXpert :

okay good deal

OSXpert :

and have you gotten mobileMe working at all?

Customer :

No

Customer :

Can I use it from this computer (at work) as well?

Customer :

Is that the idea... that I could use it from anywhere? which would be sweet!

OSXpert :

yes, you can go to www.me.com and login via the internet

OSXpert :

Have you been able to set up mobileMe on your phone yet?

Customer :

Okay... this is cool - wonder why I hadn't seen this before!?!

OSXpert :

eh, the salesmen probably just wanted you to buy it and get you out the door

OSXpert :

I can give you a hand setting it up on your phone as well

Customer :

No, not figured it out on the phone either. Here is one question... I don't really, at this point want to change my email address, can I forward my email address to the new mobile me address?

Customer :

AWESOME... Lets go!

OSXpert :

most email providers have a forwarding option

OSXpert :

who is your current email with?

Customer :

telus

OSXpert :

looks like they have forwarding...let's setup mobileMe first.

OSXpert :

on your iPhone tap settings->mail, contacts, calendars

Customer :

okay

OSXpert :

do you have any existing accounts underneath the "accounts" column?

Customer :

Yes my personal telus account and my sasktel work account

OSXpert :

okay, tap add account

OSXpert :

then tap mobileMe

OSXpert :

fill in the info and hit next

Customer :

done... sorry, forgot what my password XXXXX!!

OSXpert :

okay cool, you get it all set up? It should ask you if you want to sync email, contacts, calendars

Customer :

Yes, should I do that... at present I have contacts, from what the phone store did when transferring from blackberry over - they are kinda messed up... but I can re-do it later on the mac, right?

Customer :

I could delete what is on my phone... it should later sync properly when I get it set up on my mac

Customer :

So I set up on my mac.... and then from that point on merge... so I can do the same on my PC as well. So, it doesn't matter where I was to add a contact, the next time I go in I can merge them all together.

Customer :

If this is correct, to hell with itunes!

OSXpert :

well, I recommend this:

MobileMe acts as an exchange server, meaning, it will keep your phone and the server's content constantly in sync. That said, when you add a contact to your phone, it is immediately pushed to the server and visa versa. The bonus of this is, your contacts, calendars, and email are all accessible from a computer. Conversely, if you accidentally flush your phone down the toilet, mobileMe will always have a copy of your contacs///

Customer :

Hello.... I am so excited, are you keeping up with me!

OSXpert :

yeah, sorry, took me a while to type that. Wrist is starting to get sore

Customer :

You have just made me so happy my man, I could kiss you!

Customer :

So, mobile me really is worth it then

OSXpert :

you won't need to merge when you get all of your contacts into mobileMe -- they will always be on a server out in "Apple Land" lol

OSXpert :

haha, thanks

OSXpert :

It's a neat service. Not to make you feel like you got gyped, but you can get something very similar from google for free. But MobileMe has some additional perks like offering 20GB of online storage for your stuff

Customer :

But.... I don't want what is in my phone, because it came from blackberry, the format is not the same. So I think I will delete what is on my phone and when I get home, set up the mac and pc and then merge together. I don't have any personal contacts in my work computer - just work and I don't need them.

Customer :

Okay... ready for another question?

Customer :

My contacts all have pics via facebook.... will they also be added to my computer?

OSXpert :

sure

OSXpert :

they should, yes

Customer :

Well... now that I have switched to apple, I kinda like it, just need to learn it!

Customer :

good

OSXpert :

for sure...

OSXpert :

so, I'm a little confused though, do you have contacts on your home machine that you want to keep?

Customer :

So, I guess I will give all that a try and go from there. If I have more questions tomorrow, are you available, can I request you.... now that I am in love!

Customer :

YES... I am just not there at the moment

Customer :

What is on my personal computers at home is what I want to work from

Customer :

so I will start there.

OSXpert :

haha, yes, you can request me here, click my profile and you can send the case to me specifically

OSXpert :

also, where are the contacts on your home machine (outlook?)

Customer :

No... Increadimail!

Customer :

I can hear you.... you are saying CRAP!

Customer :

What has that girl been thinking!

Customer :

But, I like how it can be personalized

OSXpert :

haha, nah...you're cracking me up!

OSXpert :

I don't use incredimail, but do you know if you can export your contacts from it?

OSXpert :

See if you can export them as a CSV (comma separated value) file

OSXpert :

Let me know when you're back with me

Customer :

I can I can woooooooooo hooooooo!

Customer :

So I just save that file on my computer... which is the Windows 7 and then import it into Mobile Me, correct?

OSXpert :

yes, export them from incredimail, then take the CSV file and import it into address book on your mac.

Customer :

okay!

OSXpert :

Then on your mac, go to System Preferences->mobileMe and turn on contact syncing. It will then sync your address book with you mobileMe -- which will then sync all of your contacts with your iphone (assuming you turned it on earlier)

Customer :

so... once I have everything set up on all three places, do I have to "go online" meaning www.me.com or do I use an icon on my computer / phone to access?

Customer :

This is great... you have been awesome, with a short dumb blonde!

Customer :

I can't wait to put it all into effect.

OSXpert :

no worries, you're not dumb :) You can set up mobileMe to work with mail on your mac as well

OSXpert :

that way you only have to go to www.me.com when you are away from your Mac or iPhone and you need to get to your stuff

Customer :

Okay.... how late do you hang on line tonight?

Customer :

Ya, that is exactly what I was wondering

Customer :

usually pack the laptop wherever I go when travelling, but nice to know if you were somewhere without either, you still have access.

OSXpert :

Well, despite the feeling that I am working at a major support center in India or something, I am actually just some dude who knows how to do this stuff very well -- I basically do contract work for justanswer.com, so, I'm available off and on this evening. Might go get some food with some friends

OSXpert :

you may have to post a new question tomorrow or post the question publicly and see if another expert will pick it up

OSXpert :

what time zone are you in?

Customer :

mountain

OSXpert :

oh nice, me too

Customer :

but I will be until 8 tonight before I get home, so tomorrow if I have more questions I will just ask!!

Customer :

Thanks Britton, you were awesome.... are you in india, on a bike.... I saw that somewhere, an email I think!

OSXpert :

lol, nah, I live in Denver

OSXpert :

and thank you :)

Customer :

I LOVE DENVER!!!! Only airport with a smoking lounge!!! My husband smokes, I shop!

Customer :

See ya...... can I print this?

OSXpert :

have a good one....copy and paste it to word or something similar, then you can print

Customer :

See ya... I will be back, I am sure!

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Britton,

I have a couple more questions, when you are available!!

Lorie

Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Ready when you are -- however, we won't be able to chat like we did yesterday unless you open a new question. We're stuck with this Q&A mode, which works fine, but if you're in front of your computer and are able to chat, I would recommend posting a new question. You can send the question directly to me by clicking this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=50723742&FID=84