OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin

Im trying to erase and reinstall OSX on my Macbook, is all

I'm trying to erase and reinstall OSX on my Macbook, is all i need the "Applications Install DVD"? And how do i do this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer :

yeah

Customer :

so how should i do this

OSXpert :

cool...do you have the Mac OS X install DVD?

Customer :

ugh all it says is Macbook Applications Install DVD

Customer :

that's not the right one?

OSXpert :

Hmmm, does it say disc 1, disc 2, etc...?

Customer :

no

Customer :

disc 1.0?

OSXpert :

which version of Mac OS X is on your Mac?

Customer :

all it says is really small disc version 1.0

Customer :

let me check i think 10.5.8

OSXpert :

k

Customer :

yeahh

Customer :

that's it

OSXpert :

And this is a Macbook you said...?

Customer :

yep

OSXpert :

hmmm, The Applications install disc should only contain the iLife apps like garage band, iPhoto, etc...

OSXpert :

Are you sure there isn't another disc somewhere?

Customer :

i don't have any of the discs that came with it but it took me forever to hunt down this one

OSXpert :

The disc you have didn't come with it?

Customer :

thanks anyway, i need the one that says OSX on the front right?

Customer :

and is it a series of discs?

OSXpert :

well, yeah...but first are you positive you can't get ahold of the original?

Customer :

yess

OSXpert :

Is there an Apple Store, Best Buy, Fry's etc... close by?

Customer :

it's long gone, i have a pro now

OSXpert :

k

Customer :

i went and they said it would cost me 30 for the install disc and then 50 for what might be the applications disc that i already have

Customer :

i have the disc to a macbook pro but i don't think that will work

OSXpert :

Yeah, the MBP disc will most likely not install...the $30 they mentioned is the best way to go -- the $30 is a for a copy of Snow Leopard (10.6). Not only will that restore your system the way you wanted to, but it will also upgrade you to the latest and greatest

Customer :

do you think the applications dvd i already have is the other one they were talking about

Customer :

that if i didn't have it would wipe out ilife and itunes

OSXpert :

Well, when you re-install OS X, it will wipe EVERYTHING from the drive (make sure you back up your data). Doing an archive and install is another option, but I usually recommend wiping the drive clean if possible

OSXpert :

The applications install DVD should contain the iLife applications

Customer :

okay

Customer :

thanks! i might have a few more questions after i get the disc

Customer :

i'll let you know!

OSXpert :

sounds good, let me know :)

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin