Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

My new ipad will not appear in itunes. Windows XP with Service

Customer Question

My new ipad will not appear in itunes. Windows XP with Service pack 3. My Computer is 4 years old - would it have the necessary USB 2.0 - the ipad does not charge when connected to the PC via the USB
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 4 years ago.
I can help you with with. Not all USB ports will charge the iPad. I needs ten watts to charge. If your iPhone is working with iTunes your iPad should work as well. Which cable are you using to try and sync the device?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The cable which came with the ipad
Does it work on any of the USB ports on the computer? Have you tried the same port as the iPhone was plugged into?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it does not work on any of the USB ports, even the one which works with my iphone PS- it works on my borther's Apple Mac Book pro
Sounds like the ports on your computer don't supply enough power to charge/sync the iPad. You will need to buy a 2.0 powered USB hub, which shouldn't run you more than $30. This should solve the problem you are having immediately.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can I tell that I don't have a 2.0 USB port already, before I go and buy and install one?
The issue isn't the USB port, it's that the port is not supplying enough power. The iPad is a 10 watt device, drawing double the power of an iPhone.
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience: 5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your solution did not work I had to load new USB driver I am very disappointed in the quality of your answer At no time did u even suggest this
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Give me a refund