OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

My iMac has six thin vertical colored lines n the screen .

My iMac has six thin vertical colored lines n the screen . How can I get rid of them. I use OS 10.5.8 and firefox.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 4 years ago.

OSXpert : Hi, my name isXXXXX you available to chat?
Customer :

yes

Customer :

I have not got your answer yet

Customer :

great

OSXpert :

Hi, I left the chat room, wasn't sure if you were going to show up :)

Customer :

fire away

OSXpert :

Anyhow, these vertical lines -- do they persist during all screens?

OSXpert :

In other words, do the lines appear during the boot process, when running all software, etc...?

Customer :

Yes

OSXpert :

Hmmm, that's a bummer...what kind of Mac is it?

OSXpert :

and when did you buy it?

Customer :

2Ghz intel core 2 duo

OSXpert :

Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac?

Customer :

it must be about 3 years old

Customer :

iMac

OSXpert :

gotcha...unfortunately, this is a hardware defect. If the screen ALWAYS have these lines, then it's either the LCD panel or the GPU. The GPU (graphical processing unit) is a chip on the main logic board inside of the iMac that is responsible for putting the image on the display.

This is more commonly an issue the the LCD. It usually happens when pixels die forming a line or area of the screen where the pixels will no longer change color or just remain black

OSXpert :

Sorry for the typos, I just woke up :) That aside, did you purchase Apple Care when you bought the iMac?

Customer :

no

OSXpert :

hmmm, well, you have a couple of options. Is there an Apple store nearby?

Customer :

no

OSXpert :

Is there any Apple service center nearby?

OSXpert :

and how handy are you with electronics and a screwdriver?

Customer :

not very, but I could try?

OSXpert :

Well, I'll leave that decision up to you. Keep in mind, if you're not familiar with electronics, then there is a decent chance you may damage an internal component. If you're prepared to junk your current iMac and buy a new one, then you may want to at least try fixing the current one yourself. Otherwise, I would recommend taking it to a technician

OSXpert :

LCD panels can be purchased by third parties for a fraction of the cost that Apple will charge

Customer :

any idea of the cost of the repair to be done by a technician consultant

OSXpert :

Hmmm, well, I'm going to guess here, but I imagine it would cost somewhere around $500 USD. The LCD and the main logic board are the two most expensive components in the system

OSXpert :

500USD = 319 GBP

OSXpert :

and 358 Euros

Customer :

I guess i must live with the problem. Thanks

OSXpert :

no problem. Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Customer :

no thanks

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin