Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis

I am having serious problems when I save files as docx. There

I am having serious problems when I save files as docx. There appears to be problems once the document is initially saved that when I reopen or send the files to myself or others, those documents come back in some "binary" fashion that means they cannot be opened. I would like to find some way to try and re-install Microsoft Word on my MACAir to correct the problem, but do not know how to do that either.

This save problem is also affecting my Adobe files. I have found that I can circumvent that problem if I save the files a second time with the "optimization" type

Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using

What version of Word are you using?

Start Word

Click on Word in the top left

Choose About Word

It will tell you the version number there.

thanks for the info
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The MACAir runs OS X software and the version is Microsoft Word 2008 for MAC, version 12 .2.6
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Lets try deleting the preference file.

Click on the picture of a face all the way on the left-hand side of your dock. Click on Go at the very top and Choose Home

This will bring up your home folder. Go into a folder called Library and then another folder called Preferences. Delete

Next run Word updates.

Open Word.

Click Help

Check for updates.

Install 12.2.7 update

Let me know if you still have any issues. If you do Let me know if you have the Microsoft Office media.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Seemed to work, but then I send a docx copy to myself and the same error arose

Untyped Binary Data

Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 6 years ago.

Hi I am one of the other experts here on Just

Do you get the same result when you save the file to a doc file instead of docx?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not consistently, It seems that the problem that has occurred both for pdf and docx is that the file does not save with any file type indicator at the end (e.g., datafile rather than datafile.pdf or datafile.docx). I installed the updated version and these problems have occurred less frequently. May have to do with the character of the files when they were initially saved (i.e., before I updated Word to the latest version). Could that be possible?
It depends on how you are doing the saving of the files if in the save window its only show docx or pdf files it should auto add the correct extension however if the save window is set to show ALL Files which is sometimes the case it will not add the specific file extension I have seen this on a couple macs before and what I had the user do was go to Preferences and select Save. On the panel that you get is an entry called Save Word files as: with a select box next to it. If you select the Word 97-20004 (doc) format, your files will be save in a format that can be read by those not using Word 2008. Once it started saving as the doc format which allows almost anyone to open it regardless of the format they saved correctly and then the user unchecked it later and it stayed correct. The other work around is to make sure that you type out the extension in the file format for example when saving a pdf be sure to add .pdf to the end of it
Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try this out for a while. I looked back and noticed that some of the files that were saved carried the following extensions. filename.doc.docx. Seems that when they were saved as an alternative form, they carried BOTH extensions rather than the newer one.

In the example you gave the program will always default as the last extension so in the filename.doc.docx the word program will see it as a docx file

let me know how the testing goes