Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.

I cant get the Standard and Formatting options to appear at

I can't get the Standard and Formatting options to appear at the top of my document - If I click them off and back on they appear at the top of the document ... I've adjusted all the preferences that I think would apply ... thanks, Sharon
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 3 years ago.
Sharon, which application do you have this documents in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh, sorry ... in MS Word for MAC Version 12.1.5 (081119)
OK, thank you. The first thing you will want to do is update this software. You download the updates here http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx or you can open word, click on help in the file menu and click on check for updates. After you have updated, please let me know if the issue is still happening.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Updated it ... can't find any preferences that relate to this ... and I went to View Toolbars and Standard and Formatting are checked ... then I went to Customize Toolbars and Menus and Standard and formatting are checked === Standard check mark is grayed out ... the one for Formatting is blue with a check mark on it ...
Ok, lets remove the preference files for office. This will have no effect on the software. If you do use entourage it would lose it's setup information and e-mails. If you don't you entourage you will have nothing to worry about. You will find your office preference files in /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences then look for a folder called microsoft and drag it to the trash, Then try reopening word, and seeing if the toolbars are right.
If this answer helped you, please click accept, otherwise I don't get paid.

Thank you,
Kyle
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope --- that didn't change anything ... I know it should
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
any other suggestions ???
Do you have another user account on the system? If so does it have the same issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no --- only one user account
OK, let try making another account, go to system prefs > accounts and click on the plus, call it temp. Then login with that account and see if it has the same issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Settings are correct with Standard and Formatting menus at the top of the Word DOC --- how do I get this in my other log in ???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just logged back into my account and Word hasn't changed ... Should I throw away the Word prefs and restart my computer ???
Yes, trash anything that is com.mircosoft in the preferences folder, and anything in Application Support that says microsoft.
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience: 5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.