John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

running Excel on Mac OSX 10.5.8. I want to take data from on

running Excel on Mac OSX 10.5.8. I want to take data from on report where the client's names are XXXXX XXXXX Y axis (column A) and their data categories are on the x axis (columns with headers on row 1 ) and put them into a report where this orientation is switched. That is each client's data appears in a column below the name, with the data categories listed in Column A. Is there some way that I can rotate the spread sheet 90 degrees?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

I will be happy to switch the axis for you and show you how it's done if you can send me the file. Do you have the file available that you could upload?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I can upload an example file. don't see how to attach it to this reply ,but I can certainly do it if you tell me how..e
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Sure, go to www.wikisend.com and upload the file there. You will then get a page that has the File ID and Download Link. Copy either the File ID or the Download Link and come back here and paste it in your reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/486554/Workbook3.xlsx
Download link
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Got it!

I don't see an existing chart to switch the axes of, not do I see names in column A.

Which specific columns (x and y) need to be plotted. Maybe you need to rephrase the original question so it applies to the file that you sent me

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry to be confusing. When I look at workbook 3 (the example that I sent) Cell 1A says "res" and the rest of the cells in that column say "Red Bluff". Cell 1B says "month", 1C says "day" etc. I guess what I need to do is to just rotate the chart 90 degrees so that the "res", "month", "day", etc are in the column under A and the "Red Bluff"'s appear in cells 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, etc horizonatlly. Then the row 2A,B,C,D etc would have the month (August). Row 3 the days, row 4 the community, etc
Does that make more sense?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Somebody still working on this? Haven't heard anything for a while....e
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Sorry had to step out for a while

Ok here you go

FILE

I have converted the first 12 columns of Sheet1 (i.e. columns A thru L) into rows on Sheet2 (rows 1 thru 12). If you need me to do the rest of the columns please let me know

Hope this is ok. Please feel free to reply if you need further clarification or click Accept if this answers your question fully.

Edited by John D on 10/13/2010 at 2:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is great and exactly what I wanted to do. But how did you do it. I have a ton of these sheets that I need to convert. This was just a small example.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Glad this was what you wanted

Ok you are going to have to do it one column at time. If that's ok I will show you how you can do that in a few steps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry , fell asleep...if I can do it one column at a time that is way better than one cell at a time. Please show me how to do it! thanks this is great! e
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok, here is a neat way to copy columns into rows (or vise versa)

1- select the range that you want to copy in that column (e.g. A1:A23), and copy it

2- select the first cell in the row that you want to paste it in horizontally

3- from the Edit menu select Paste Special

4- In the Paste Special dialog box, check the box next to Transpose and click OK

Voila!, data pasted.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply if you need further clarification or click Accept if this answers your question (that is the only way I get credit for helping)

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.