Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

ll of my inbox mail (except for yesterday and today) is

ll of my inbox mail (except for 'yesterday' and 'today') is dated June 9, 2010. how do i fix this issue?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you using Apple Mail?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is Apple Mail on an i-mac. I don't have the same problem on the MacBook Pro.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You say your Date and Time are set correctly, right. Then do this:

Go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Then if all OK open Mail and select your Inbox and go to Mailbox/Rebuild,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,
OK - followed those instructions. Problem is not solved.
The Verify Disk came up green - and I forget the wording - but basically all was OK.
I ran the Repair Permissions - took about 3 mins - and completed properly.
I opened the mail Inbox first - and then did the Mailbox/ Rebuild - still showing today yesterday - and all previous are still 9 June
I did the same with the sent box - same result.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Who is your email provider?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Telstra Australia - over here known as Bigpond.
.... but - as per previous - the problem does not exist on the MacBook Pro.
.... also I have an HP (IBM compatible) - problem does not exist there either.
so I think the ISP is not the issue.

Andrew
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I was not blaming them I need to know if it is IMAP account
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK - how do we tell if it is IMAP?

.... and one more thing we noticed. While the inbox shows today/yesterday then 9 June for all previous - on that machine on the email itself it shows as 9 June even while the date column [inbox / sent box] knows it is today/yesterday
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If you have the same account on another computer it is probably IMAP. Try this Quit Mail, then go to Macintosh HD/Users/Yourusername/Library/Mail/ look for a folder that matches your email account and open that. Look for INBOX.Imapinbox and drag that to the desktop. Then open Mail and it will rebuild you Inbox and hopefully fix your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We might be getting somewhere. I use the Macbook - so when you message came in - I ran down the folders as per your instruction above - and under mail I had an inbox (but not imapinbox)

Then I went to my wife's i-mac (the one with the problem) and under the mail folder there is a significant jumble of files and folders - I took a screen dump ..... it won't let me paste it here .... can I send it to you on an e-mail??

...........
and when I went to use "grab" to take the screen image - Grab says it was last modified on 9 June ...... the e-mail date - so it does seem to be a pseudo-systems date.

.... one more thing - up on the top tool bar of both computers - we have the date / time FRI 1:59 PM. On this one - if I click on it then I get "Friday, 8 October 2010" - on the other one I get "Wednesday 9 June 2010". I am being absolutely precise .... I have a comma between the day "Friday" and the date .... but the i-mac has no comma between the day "Wednesday" and the date

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you check the System Preferences on her machine? Look at Date and Time and check the box to set it automatically.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - that was my very first thought - but I have checked it again today.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try this: Resetting PRAM
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Restart again:

1. To access Open Firmware press and hold Command-Option -O-F
  2. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram
  3. Press Return.
  4. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - managed steps in first e-mail OK
could not get ti to open Firmware using Cmd-Opt-O-F
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - also noticed - I assume you know the application called dashboard .... has the symbol - looks like a gauge .... it is OK - has correct date / time ..... don't know whether that is useful information for you or not!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If it is an Intel iMac do this instead:

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord.
  • Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  • Release the power button.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - it is an Intel iMac - I have had house guests for a long weekend - and have not been on the computers.

I will test this tonight (Sydney time) and let you know.

Cheers

Andrew
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK sorry I should have asked that first. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - tried that twice
Shut down computer, unplug (at wall), hold on button for 5 seconds, plug in, turn on.

Both times it just came on - didn't go to firmware at all!

Andrew
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That is what it is supposed to do. Please uncheck Set Date and Time Automatically and set the date manually. Then restart and see if you dates are ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike,

I did that - time is set manually. I did a restart - still not fixed. (I even did a shut down and restarted - no difference).

A
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK in that case did you tell me your email account was IMAP I don’t have time to read all that again sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - I don't know how to tell if it was IMAP. I don't know what IMAP is.
What I said was - I can get the mail separately into my MacBook, June's iMac and into an HP - as each one receives the mail - it is not deleted from the ISP - so they all get the same mail. You determined from that - that it must be IMAP.
Remember also that even though the date/time on the top bar is correct - when I click on it to go to date time preferences - then the greyed out systems date appears static as well - e.g. 9 June.
Everything else works OK - it doesn't seem to lose the date - because they still sort in the order received / sent - it is just that the DISPLAY is wrong. It looks as though the display section is reading a static date - while the underlying data retains the real date.
A
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK delete the account and then put it back.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 10/12/2010 at 10:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK - Deleted Account - put it back - got 91 e-mails back into the inbox - 7 Today - 13 Yesterday ..... and 71 that show as 9 June ..... even though they go back to about the beginning of the month!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
And the time on the computer is right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - time on the computer is 13 October (Sydney / Australia) ate 10:16 am

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK try this. Quit Mail and go to your username folder/Library and drag the Mail folder and Mail Downloads if it exists to the trash. The go to same Library/Preferences com.apple.mail.plist to the trash and any other file that has com.apple.mail.???

Restart and open Mail and setup account again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't you just hate it! I did that - this time I got 94 emails but bugger - early ones are still 9 June.

I know the problem exhibits as a mail problem - but I keep thinking about the fact that the systems date shows greyed out as a 9 June - I think about the fact that when I went to use "grab" earlier to get you a screen shot (which I couldn't attach) it also said 9 June. I am thinking it is a plist somewhere - which is used by mail for display - but not for storage ......
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I asked if the system had the right date earlier and you said yes. Where does it show 9 June?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Send me the screenshot:

Go here with any web browser and sign in. Click on upload and choose your file? Let me know when completed.

http://momandpop.ws:8000

username: justanswer
password: macmedic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - I have said this several times. If I look at the top bar - right hand side - where all the symbols are - then the date and time are correct. Now if I click on the day time - there is a drop down menu. This Menu has 3 choices in black 1) View as Analogue, 2) View as Digital, and 3) Date and Time Preferences. In this drop down box - there is a greyed out date - it is that date that consistently shows as 9 June. I stress though that if I go to Date and Time Preferences - then the Date and Time Preferences ARE AET correctly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will try to grab you a screen shot
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - it should be there now - I called it "dates image" - it shows top right corner - it shows a mail screen and it shows several other screens that indicate the software was all loaded 9 June - which they were NOT - because this iMac we have had since Christmas 2009
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It also shows Date and time - as being set correctly!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Got it give me a minute
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
When you got the Mac did you migrate data from and old MAc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No - didn't have an old mac - the iMac was the first mac in the house
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK try this:

1. First, close all other programs on the Mac displaying the wrong date and time. This especially includes the Date and Time preferences window.
  2. Next, from the "Go" drop down menu in finder, click "Go To Folder". This should bring up a small text entry box which you will use next.
  3. In the text box, type "/private/etc/". This will bring up a window showing a number of files and folders.
  4. Locate the folder titled "localtime" and move it to the trash. Then delete the trash. Upon deleting the trash, make sure that the trash is indeed empty by looking at the icon and ensuring the trash icon does not have anything in it. Or of course you can open the trash and make sure the trash folder is empty.
  5. Open the Date and Time preference window and select the Time Zone tab. Now select the appropriate time zone by either clicking on the map or from the drop down menu.
  6. Next, I recommend restarting the Mac for good measure although this is not entirely necessary. After restarting, your date and time should be correct assuming you set the correct time zone in preferences. ??If the date & time are not correct, repeat steps 1-5. Sometimes doing the process a second time did the trick.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - I hope you have had dinner!

I tried it twice - no difference.

If I view the Macintosh HD folder - all the all the folders still show date modified as 9 June (except the dates image - which shows as "today" - as it should). The greyed out dat is still 9 June - e-mails still show as 9 June

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you try it more than once?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did it twice the first time - and now I have done it again ..... but now I can't get the localtime folder to appear in the Private/Etc directory. If I tell it to set time automatically it goes to 1:20 AM - where we are actually 12:20 PM - so I have to leave the time set manually to get it to stay correct now.

and .... no the dates have not improved - they all still display as 9 June ....
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You have set the time zone correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - I tried Canberra and Sydney ...... they are aligned here in Oz -
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try changing the server next the the checkbox
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK - that got it ..... It wasn't on Asia - we are back to correct time!

Are you OK to continue - do you want to sleep on the date issue?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If it is still happening I think you need to reinstall your system. Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mac OS X Version 10.6.4 ...... Processor 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo .... Memory 4 GB 1067 Mhz Ram
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Start up from your original system disk. Put this disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the Install screen you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility and run it from there, Verify Disk and also Repair Permissions. Quit the Disk Utility you will be back at installer. Install. Run Software update after restart.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is going to take a while ...... I will come back circa 1 Hr ... let's hope it is good news!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - I may have erred the first time - I ran the install before I verified the disk and repaired the permissions.
...... I have since verified the disk and repaired permissions again - I am now reinstalling
I will then restart - update software - restart (again ... because it will force me to) and then I will let you know.....
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well actually you just did that before so it should be OK. You will now have two Previous System folders when done if all OK trash them as they take up a lot of disk space. I will check with you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well MIke - I have done it (twice as you say) but the grey out date is still 9 June - the e-mail is still 9 june - the various folders (Applications Library systems and Users) are all dated today. ..... then as I go under each of those - some are 9 June - some are today.

I will be hitting the sack about the time you get up .... so probably tomorrow afternoon your time ..... and I can only give it a few hours - as I have to go into the city (2 hr trip each way) tomorrow.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK this is a tuffy, try this go to Date and Time/Clock and turn off Show Date and time in the menu bar. Then repeat trashing the localtime folder restart and turn it back on. In the meantme I am researching the problem. Do you have any other users on the Mac? Let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try trashing the file yourusername folder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist restart
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning/afternoon mike
OK I did the clock thing - turned off the display - deleted the local time - turned it back on. No difference. ....... I trashed the yourusername folder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist .... and I did a restart .... The clock is now not displaying on the top menu bar .... but you probably knew that. E-mail dates remain unchanged ....... No we only have one user set up on the Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Trun the clock in the menu back on is it still wrong?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought to do this - but I didn't want to go ahead of you. Yes it is still the same - the top bar is correct - but the greyed out date when you hit the drop down is still 9 June (sorry)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took the initiative - I created a new user (me) on June iMac - you are heading in the right direction ..... the greyed out date when I log in is OK (14 October)
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes a new user was another thing I was going to try but the date is usally a system wide setting. Try setting up that mail account in the new user and see if the dates are OK.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If that works I think we need to look at the login items on the “bad” user account or maybe just forget the whole thing and transfer everything to the new user. I would feel more compfortable, because I don‘ know what the cause it just backing up and erasing the drive, zero out data and reinstalling if that would not be too much trouble.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am having a little trouble setting up the mail on the new user account (I suspect the problem is mine - but I will work it out tonight) ...

Now if I can get that working (and I expect I will) - then I will set up a new one for June with new administrator rights - and delete her old user.

I have to go unto the office now ..... I will end you an update tonight (my time)

Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike - I have it working !!!!!! Per previous - I set up a new user for me - it worked. I set up a new user for my wife using her middle initial - it works as well.

There are just files that she had under "June Ball" that "June V Ball" can't see - so I have to work out how to let the new user see the old user information. I want to do that before I delete the old user.

It also defaults to the old user on startup .... but those are things I can solve over time. Thanks for all your help and patience.

Andrew