OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

spilled water on lap top - help

Customer Question

spilled water on lap top - help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Is the battery removable?

OSXpert :

Time is pretty important, so please get back to me as soon as you can.

Customer :

suggestions?

OSXpert :

Yes, ensure the battery is out of it

Customer :

it is

OSXpert :

make sure it is unplugged, the idea is to make absolutely sure that ALL power has been removed from the laptop

Customer :

and it was beer, not water

Customer :

ok

OSXpert :

Time is your friend here, give it PLENTY of time (several days at least)

OSXpert :

before you plug it back in

Customer :

ok

OSXpert :

what kind of Mac is it?

Customer :

newish one, but not a pro

OSXpert :

did you spill the beer on the keyboard?

Customer :

yeah

OSXpert :

okay, gravity is your friend here too...that said, there are capacitors on the PC board inside of the laptop. Capacitors hold a charge...you don't want any liquids to make contact with any of the circuity connected to one of the capacitors for fear of a short. Turn the laptop upside down so the liquid will hopefully not make any contact with the logic board underneath the keyboard

Customer :

ok

OSXpert :

Lastly, you can use a hair dryer (make sure the heat is turned off, you just want the airflow) to try to dry off any liquid between the keys. Make sure the laptop stays upside down while doing this...you don't want the air flow to push any water up into the logic board

OSXpert :

How much actually spilled on it?

Customer :

5 oz

OSXpert :

hmmm, well, you're probably going to be okay. Did much of the beer seep into the outer edges of the keyboard? The center of the keyboard is pretty well sealed

OSXpert :

Are you still there?