Nick B.
Nick B., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  16 year mac user. 13 years professional mac experience. BSD UNIX expert. Senior Network Engineer

how do you secretly im someone by turning your text to numbers

Customer Question

how do you secretly im someone by turning your text to numbers and the recipient get the numbers & them back to tect to read.

indesign, word, text edit, what need to know and fast.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick B. replied 6 years ago.
I think I can help but I'll need a bit more information. What is it exactly that you're trying to do? Are you wanting to have a private IM conversation with someone, as in, encrypt the transaction? If that is the case, then it's pretty straightforward. There is a protocol called OTR (off the record) that several IM clients support. More details can be found here:
If you're on a mac the Adium client supports OTR, on windows I there are plugins for clients like trillian and psi that support it as well.
For OTR to work, both partied need to have an OTR compatible client.
If this is not what you're looking to do please let me know and I can attempt to help further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Here's the scoop. My partner (a teacher) has been communicating with someone in the next door class (a student) & what they do is turn their text into numbers, send them to each other over the schools shared server, transpose the numbers back into text so they can read them. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, I need to decipher this code and read their text-to-number-back-to-text Im's. Gotta know & now. I know it can be sone in Excel, but I don't believe they're doing it that way.

Expert:  Nick B. replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to have to think on this one a bit. Without having the key that kind of thing is going to be very difficult to figure out. It can be done in excel, for sure. Of the top of my head, the only thing I can come up with in the short term is this: that wil convert the numbers to words in excel, words to numbers is a different function, which i don't currently have. I'll keep looking. I'm fairly intrigued by this process, actually.
Expert:  Nick B. replied 6 years ago.
What is likely going on is called a substitution cipher. It is pretty easy to do and is likely being done in excel but there are any number of ways that it could be done. Without the key, unfortunately, it's going to be very hard to see what is in it. It could be a simple letter to number substitution (although I worked through this and it is gibberish) or it could be something more complicated like a caesar shift, or any number of other ciphers. It could even be something like OTR or gpg (although I kinda doubt it).
Really, unless you know the cipher or key, you're not going to be able to see what is in the message.

Edited by Nick B. on 10/4/2010 at 3:58 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you please try 225 for the key for me? here waiting. thx nick.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if you've had the chance to try 225 as the key, i'd like to see it, if not thank you for all your diligent help.