OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I have my mac on dish internet and have the extreme airport.

I have my mac on dish internet and have the extreme airport. When someone sends me a video clip, it doesn't play smoothly, but stops for long seconds in the middle several times. What can I do to make this better?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
OSXpert :

Hello, my name is Britton. The main problem with satellite internet is the latency (the time it takes for each bit of information to travel from your home, to a terrestrial broadcast station, then to a satellite in orbit, then back down to a terrestrial broadcast station and so on..) The speed of light becomes a limiting factor here.

That said, live video is almost always going to be a little bit choppier than video that has been pre-recorded. In your case, it's probably best to just pause the movie for a bit, maybe 30-60 seconds to give your computer a chance to buffer the video. This will allow it to "catch up" a bit and download parts of the movie that you haven't watched yet so as you continue watching the video clip, it will always have some of the movie stored.

Customer :

Hi, Britton. So, if I am going to view a video that is 4 minutes long, just start, then hit pause for a minute before viewing and it should run straight through?

OSXpert :

Yes, that will typically alleviate the choppiness and pauses that you see. Are these YouTube videos?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

Yes, when you watch them, you know the progress bar (little moving dot that shows you where you are in the movie)? It sits above the play/pause controls...

Customer :

O.K., thank you very much! It has been driving me crazy! I will do this. It is worth $38!!

OSXpert :

Excellent :) Let me know if it doesn't work or if you have more questions.

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin