Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a HP Photosmart 7850 Printer which has stopped working

I have a HP Photosmart 7850 Printer which has stopped working for about a month. I tried reinstalling driver software but problem occurs when scanning USB which is the connection I have (USB cable) and response is "device not found." I have swapped the cable and tried unplugging printer etc. Nothing works. It keeps trying to connect but jobs keep stopping. Any advice or do I need to get a new printer?

Frustrated consumer
Alexandria VA XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Turn off the printer and computer and unplug both from the power and USB for about 10 minutes then plug everything back in. Then go to Apple Logo/About this Mac/More Info select the USB on the left and tell me what it says on the right.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Here's the info you requestedL

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built In USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBOHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x003f
PCI Revision ID: 0x0000
PCI Vendor ID: 0x106b
Bus Number: 0x1a

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Version: 19.65
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple, Inc.
Product ID: 0x8207
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Computer, Inc.)

Apple Internal Trackpad:

Version: 0.80
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Computer
Product ID: 0x030b
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The printer is not listed which measn it is not being recognized at all. Do you have another Mac you can try it on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I only have 1 home computer (MAC laptop) so would have to borrow a friend's. would I need to install printer software on her laptop? Can you tell whether computer or printer problem?

Christine
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You don’t even have to install anything just plug it in and look in the System profiler like you just did if it does not show up the printer may be shot, if it does show up there is a problem with your computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Here's the printer info. What are next steps?

HP Photosmart 7850:

Status: Stopped
Print Server: Local
Driver Version: 10.4
Default: Yes
URI: lpd:///
PPD: DesignJet 5000PS
PPD File Version: 2.0
PostScript Version: (3010.108) 1
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That is from your computer? Where do you see that info?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
From system profiler, hardware and printer on left panel.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I don‘t understand you gave me this info before?

Here's the info you requestedL USB Bus: Host Controller Location: Built In USB Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBOHCI PCI Device ID: 0x003f PCI Revision ID: 0x0000 PCI Vendor ID: 0x106b Bus Number: 0x1a Bluetooth USB Host Controller: Version: 19.65 Bus Power (mA): 500 Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec Manufacturer: Apple, Inc. Product ID: 0x8207 Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Computer, Inc.) Apple Internal Trackpad: Version: 0.80 Bus Power (mA): 500 Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec Manufacturer: Apple Computer Product ID: 0x030b Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Computer, Inc.)
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you saying that is the info when you selct Printers in System Profiler?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that's what I am saying.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That is just the drivers you have installed if the printer does not show up in the USB there is something wrong with it, period.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry it still migt be your computer ntil you can check it with another Mac.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If you can get your friends computer and check the system profiler that will give us a good idea. I have to quit for the evening can we continue tomorrow?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. Does it have to be a Mac?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No but in that case there are different procedures.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What's the procedure for a non-Mac?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
To be honest I am a Mac expert and I would have to just suggest in that case to install the driver and see if you can print
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.