Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My password is 6dg3h9y.I have a iBook G4 which is the 10.4.11

Customer Question

My password XXXXX XXXXX have a iBook G4 which is the 10.4.11 (8S i65) version of MAC OSX.
My computer has recently developed a fault. The arrow shaped cursor suddenly changes shape and turns into a spinning coloured ball and the effect is that any amount of clicking when the spinning ball mantle is adopted has no response. Then just as suddenly the cursor returns to its normal shape and its business as usual. There doesn't seem to be any time pattern either between the changes or during the changes. Sometimes the spinning ball changes into a wristwatch showing the time as 9 oclock. It is deeply frustrating. CAN ANYONE HELP?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
What your system needs is a maintenance.
I suggest first off, resetting the pram.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.
If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

After you do this I want you to repair the permissions. This PDF will explain how.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear XXXXX
I have tried both your suggestions but they have not cured the fault. Have you any other suggestions?
Regards
Victor
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Okay, It seems the basics didn't help much.
It is quite possible that your directory on your hard drive is corrupted and is causing this type of behavior.
The next thing I suggest is called a safe boot, it runs UNIX routines that sometimes get neglected.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Try that, it may need more than this, but this is the next step.
Let me know the result please
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,
I followed your instructions on " Safe Boot " but the problem still persists. I then found that access to the internet was denied as I received the message each time I tried that my modem was not ready. I also found that my printer did not print.In desperation I tried resetting the pram and I was able to get on the internet. I havn't tried the printer again.I have been over ten minutes typing these four lines as the cursor keeps
changing into a ball. It's so frustrating. Have you any other suggestions??
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
The internet is usually not available in safe mode, there are many services that are not on.
How do you connect? You mention modem, is this dialup?
It could be that your hard drive is failing and will soon quit altogether, I do suggest backing up your important data before it is too late.
Since the above did not help I am thinking it is the hard drive.
The other thing, and this is the best case, is a corrupted directory, fixable but it does require TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior.
My choice is Disk Warrior, it will cost about $100 as will TechTool, well worth the money.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear XXXXX
I am not very expierienced on these technical matters . Where do I obtain DISK WARRIOR from and what if that doesn't do the trick.
Regards
Victor
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Click on the DiskWarrior 4, it will take you to it.