OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I have a G5 Mac and had an older version of Firefox on it be

Customer Question

I have a G5 Mac and had an older version of Firefox on it because it was in storage for a year. Some guy used my computer and did two things to my knowledge. Put a new version of FF on it and attempted to use the Skype app that was apparently on it. I dumped Skype since I never use it on this computer but still cannot get browsers to work now. Trouble shooted from your site as much as I know and my computer keeps freezing and I have to unplug to reboot.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer :

hi

Customer :

available but not for hours

OSXpert :

Hi there. So, FF is giving you fits?

OSXpert :

hopefully we can get you going in minutes, not hours :)

Customer :

ya

Customer :

and the other browsers now also

Customer :

Opera and Safri..probably all outdate

Customer :

was working fine until a guy updated ff

OSXpert :

hmm...alright. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing firefox?

Customer :

yes of cours

Customer :

but FF says that normally is not the remedy

Customer :

are you there?

OSXpert :

okay. have you tried using something like app zapper or app cleaner to remove FF and all of it's sub-components, and then use other browsers to see if FF being installed is even the culprit?

Customer :

just used xslimmer but as I said the browsers are not working so difficult to download

Customer :

are there any on the HD?

OSXpert :

Other browsers aren't working at all? I'm confused, what are you using now, to chat with me?

OSXpert :

no, just the normal drag to trash uninstallation

Customer :

Im on my other computer

OSXpert :

I see, download with this computer then transfer to your mac with a flash drive. Xslimmer just removes the PPC binaries and other languages. It's used to free up space

Customer :

anything else

OSXpert :

This is app cleaner...

http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

Customer :

which one to try first?

OSXpert :

I would start with using it to uninstall firefox...however, are you sure you have network connectivity with your Mac at all?

Customer :

I am sure...I can get on Opera periodically .. trying now

OSXpert :

gotcha

Customer :

on the problem computer...you recommend saving file or opening it .. Opera is up now

OSXpert :

save it

OSXpert :

you'll need to install it when it finishes downloading

Customer :

uninstall FF now?

Customer :

anything else uninstall

OSXpert :

nope, let's just start with FF

OSXpert :

start AppCleaner and drag FF to the Box that says "Drag Apps Here

Customer :

5 files found: plist dmg 2 folders & icon delete all?

OSXpert :

yes

Customer :

done

OSXpert :

try your other browser, let's see if it works

Customer :

I am using it now but I am pretty sure it's going to freeze the computer and crash because I already uninstalled FF once ... you think taking out the 5 files are going to resolve the issue?

OSXpert :

it might, I dont have high hopes for it, but it's a possibility...if it locks up on you, reboot into safe mode...

OSXpert :

try this...

OSXpert :

1.) Shutdown your Mac

2.) Press the power button on your Mac to turn it back on

3.) As soon as you hear the startup chime noise, immediately press and hold the <SHIFT> key until you see a progress indicator.

4.) Release the <SHIFT> key when you see the progress indicator -- allow your Mac to boot up.

5.) Once your Mac has booted in safe mode, reboot it and allow it to boot normally.

OSXpert :

Bookmark this page so you can come back here and chat with me when you come back

Customer :

I am on a different computer so don't need to BM but what are we attempting by doing this.I am confused?

Customer :

i have opera open and it isn't freezing yet but my main objective is to get FF up and running since many programs don't run on the others

OSXpert :

Restarting in Safe mode will clear a number of caches in Mac OS X, the network adapter might have some stale data that may be causing these issues. Booting in Safe mode may help alleviate the problem, it's just another step to try and fix this.

Customer :

OK

OSXpert :

Let me know when you're finished

Customer :

done

OSXpert :

now let's re-install firefox...see if you can download it

Customer :

I need to reboot this computer also ... running slow

OSXpert :

Keep me posted

OSXpert :

you just rebooted, right? When you booted into Safe Mode?

Customer :

I am on 2 computers remember ... chatting with you on one and reporting on the other. I rebooted in safe mode on the problem computer. Still having same issue with the new version of FF -- it froze

Customer :

ballooning

OSXpert :

Bummer, it might a good idea to archive and re-install Mac OS X

OSXpert :

do you have your Mac OS X DVD(s)

OSXpert :

?

Customer :

You know what I think I need to take this in because I don't have the SW handy and I cannot spend this much time when the issue is not obvious.

OSXpert :

This does seem to be a fairly deep-seated issue as it is affecting multiple pieces of software. However, I can almost guarantee you they are going to want to re-install Mac OS X

OSXpert :

If you have the time, consider doing it yourself -- it will save you some $$

Customer :

how do i get the computer off Safe mode...I now need to unplug the computer again because it is not rebooting

Customer :

I will be going overseas in 2 months and it was worth trying for the price quote but I have already spent over 8 hrs trying

OSXpert :

Did you reboot after booting into Safe mode (Step 5 posted earlier)?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

Okay good, you are not in Safe mode now, you only booted into safe mode to clean things up, after rebooting, you are back into normal mode

Customer :

Holding the start button down is not working--just a black screen but still running

OSXpert :

the shift key, not start

Customer :

off now ... to reboot in regular mode I don't have to do anything right?

Customer :

just restart

OSXpert :

correct

Customer :

I am not being charged correct?

OSXpert :

You only get charged if you choose to pay me by "Accepting". I do not work for justanswer.com, I do this as contract work. You put down a good faith deposit, but it is fully refundable

OSXpert :

If you're not satisfied with the help I have given you, you're not obligated to accept

Customer :

I am sure you are helpful in other areas but this issue was a waste of both our time I think

Customer :

Thanks though.

OSXpert :

Not necessarily, I'm confident we can make this work. I have been through many issues with Macs that are more complex than this. You just need to be willing to spend the time to see it through