OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin

I cannot open or use some websites that I have used before.

Customer Question

I cannot open or use some websites that I have used before. I have reported it to Apple bugs. I cleaned out my cache and reset Safari.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer :

Yes.

Customer :

Can you help me with this problem

OSXpert :

Sure. What sites are you having problems with?

Customer :

Pogo games. ask.com, comcast.net

OSXpert :

okay...and what happens when you navigate to those sites? (I need details, what actually appears on the screen)

Customer :

It tells me to report to Apple bugs and put in the corresponding numbers.

Customer :

Sometimes, I get a lot of unrecognizing letters or will freeze

OSXpert :

hmm, that's bizarre. Would you consider using a different browser? I can walk you through the installation. Google Chrome for example will render web pages a bit faster and has a few more features

Customer :

I will try anything.

OSXpert :

good deal...first, go to this link:

OSXpert :

actually, what kind of Mac do you have?

OSXpert :

and what version of OS X?

Customer :

I do not know--where should I look

Customer :

IMac

OSXpert :

click the apple logo in the upper left hand corner, click about this mac

OSXpert :

also, I need to know what processor you have

OSXpert :

it should be on the same screen

Customer :

Version 10.6.4

OSXpert :

excellent

OSXpert :

Go to this site:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/landing_chrome_mac.html?hl=en

OSXpert :

...and click "Download Google Chrome"

Customer :

Hi again,

OSXpert :

Hi

OSXpert :

Did you get Chrome downloaded?

Customer :

As we talked before I am still having the same problem after I down loaded Chrome.

Customer :

I do not know If you could read what I wrote in the previous page--for that will explain a lot .

OSXpert :

Are you using Chrome right now?

OSXpert :

I didn't get any of your messages, the chat session says you were offline

Customer :

yes, I am

OSXpert :

When you navigate to these sites with Chrome, what message do you get?

Customer :

The websites I mentioned before and when I tries to respond to open up your website, it took me a long time-came up blank, and I finally received the following message "Safari cannot open the page

OSXpert :

but you're using Chrome, right? You shouldn't get any messages about Safari...?

Customer :

"http://ww.2just answer.com/help?jats=68355-52163724-ER-6imwhngt- "cannot decode raw data" NSURLEErrorDomain:-1015

Customer :

I have received this message on previous sites I have visited.

OSXpert :

What does it say, just to the right of the Apple logo in the upper-left hand corner of the screen?

Customer :

I do not know what you mean--to the right of the Apple logo is Safari

OSXpert :

Okay, I need you to run Chrome instead, do you follow me?

Customer :

ok, I'll try

OSXpert :

did you install chrome after downloading it?

Customer :

It says Yahoo

OSXpert :

when you clicked on chrome?

Customer :

I have 2 icons of chrome on my desktop--si I believe I downloaded it.

Customer :

Yes, when I clicked on Chrome

OSXpert :

okay, in Chrome (make sure it says Chrome next to the Apple logo in the upper-left corner), navigate to one of the sites that is giving you problems -- see if it works

OSXpert :

you still with me?

Customer :

When I clicked on Chrome-I received this message Error (net::ERR_CONTENT-DECODING-FAILE); Unknown error

Customer :

It may be temporarily down or it may have moved to a new tab address

OSXpert :

try booting your machine into safe mode, like this...

OSXpert :

1.) Shutdown your Mac

2.) Press the power button on your Mac to turn it back on

3.) As soon as you hear the startup chime noise, immediately press and hold the <SHIFT> key until you see a progress indicator.

4.) Release the <SHIFT> key when you see the progress indicator -- allow your Mac to boot up.

5.) Once your Mac has booted in safe mode, reboot it and allow it to boot normally.

Customer :

What if I cannot get back to you?

OSXpert :

Bookmark this page...that way you can easily come back to iy

OSXpert :

it*

Customer :

I just checked Comcast and Pogo and the sites are open.

Customer :

What caused this problem

Customer :

???

Customer :

Are you there??

Customer :

Is someone there?

OSXpert : Safari can be finicky at times. I'm glad things are working for you. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am out running some errands and am typing this from my phone. Do you have any more questions for me?
OSXpert :

Let me know if you need more assistance

Customer :

Sorry, but thing are worse--cannot download fromGoogle-cannot open Apple site-cannot open Comcast.net--in which I have an account. I am worse than before. I even try to re-download Snow Leopard browser. I have tried everything!!!! I did not have this problem yesterday. I do not know where I can turn. Every place I turn is either blank or error. This is ridiculous. I have been working on this computer for 5 hours, but then I had to go out. Help, Help!!!

Customer :

I can not press accept because I can not navigate anywhere.

OSXpert :

I understand

OSXpert :

I think it's going to be best to perform an archive and restore

OSXpert :

do you have your Mac OS X DVD(s)?

Customer :

yes I do.

OSXpert :

Okay good, one more thing, do you have a router connected to your modem from comcast?

Customer :

I do not know--I have verizon on my home computer--but then, I have comcast down in Florida.

Customer :

So, I have 2 accounts

OSXpert :

Okay, Verizon gave you a box that supplies internet to your house, go look at the box they gave you, see if it connectes to another box....is your computer connected wirelessly or using a cable?

Customer :

Never was a problem until today

Customer :

using cable

Customer :

I know I am reiterating, but I have not had this problem before

OSXpert :

well, I saw a problem similar to this one a while back, and it was actually a piece of hardware (router)

OSXpert :

Are you connected to the internet wirelessly?

Customer :

No, cable

OSXpert :

cable as in the service provider, or cable as in there is a physical cable connecting your system to the internet?

Customer :

cable connecting to the internet

Customer :

Verizon is my homepage on this Apple computer

Customer :

I have Verison FIOS

OSXpert :

gotcha...can you easily back up the data on your system (documents, media, etc...)?

Customer :

I do not know what you mean

Customer :

I am computer illiterate

OSXpert :

haha, no worries

OSXpert :

do you have an external hard drive or a USB flash drive? Something that you can copy your personal data to?

Customer :

I can open Verizon.com, my homepage, but little else

OSXpert :

I think we're missing one another, I am talking about a physical device that you plug into your computer that you can copy your personal data to. When I say personal data, I mean documents you have type, photos, music, etc...

OSXpert :

do you have an external hard drive or a USB flash drive?

OSXpert :

Or, do you even have any personal data saved on your computer?

Customer :

I do have USB flash drive, but I do not know if I have enough space.

Customer :

I have many photos and documents on my hard drive.

OSXpert :

K, I think the easiest way to fix the issues you're having is to just wipe your computer clean and re-install Mac OS X...doing so will delete EVERYTHING on your system...you'll want to back these up first

OSXpert :

and just to confirm, you actually installed Chrome right? Not just downloaded, but you actually installed it and it is not working for you either?

Customer :

I do not know how to do that.

OSXpert :

Sorry, I asked a couple of questions, you don't know how to do what?

Customer :

No, It would not allow me to install Chrome--error.

OSXpert :

Well, I don't mean for this to be taken negatively, but, I think this is going to be easiest for you if you have some hands-on help. It's goig to be increasingly more difficult for us to work together through this chat system because the troubleshooting techniques are going to require more and more familiarity with computers. Does that make sense?

Customer :

No, I do not--I found the disc to install Mac OS X install DVD and I have flash drive plugged in

Customer :

So, what do I do. I can not open Apple website to get information. I can not access any sites.

OSXpert :

okay, we can continue working like this if you're up for it, but I'll leave the choice to you. If you prefer to take this to a technician, I'll find a location for you. What would you like to do?

Customer :

I will take it to a technician---if I can open the web site.

OSXpert :

I'll find you an apple store. What is your zip code?

Customer :

Either way, I do not care. As long as I get this fixed.

OSXpert :

Your zip code please

Customer :

I know where there is an Apple store near me, but I would rather fix this as soon as possible.

OSXpert :

Well, if you can get your data backed up to your USB flash drive, we can probably have it fixed ASAP

OSXpert :

Please start copying your personal data to your USB flash drive

Customer :

What if I reinstall my Mac Os ?. I do not know if I have enough memory in my USB.

Customer :

I have put in my USB, now what>

OSXpert :

Open a finder window

OSXpert :

the USB flash drive will show up on the left hand side of the window. Start dragging your pictures, documents, etc.. to the flash drive

Customer :

I have to shut down my computer in order to access Finder

OSXpert :

No, you can open a Finder window by clicking the Blue Smiley face icon on the dock at the bottom of the screen

Customer :

I do not know how to do that.

OSXpert :

click the blue smiley face on the dock

Customer :

There is no blue smiley face.

OSXpert :

there is no icon that looks like this...

Full Size Image

OSXpert :

?

OSXpert :

Do you see it?

Customer :

I have seen that face, but it is not on my page

Customer :

I am sorry, but I do not see it.

OSXpert :

at the bottom, on the dock, not in Safari

Customer :

I do see it now, for it was covered.

Customer :

Now, what do I do?.

OSXpert :

click it

OSXpert :

it will open a window

OSXpert :

plug in the flash drive, it will appear on the left side of the window that opens

Customer :

I clicked.

OSXpert :

start dragging your personal files to the flash drive icon on the left side of the finder window

OSXpert :

your files will be located in their respective directories (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc...)

Customer :

Message I receive is that the Safari browser does not support community tool bar.

Customer :

No flash drive icon which is plugged in.

OSXpert :

This is not using Safari at all

OSXpert :

I'm sorry, but I am going to suggest you take this to a technician. It's going to be very difficult for us to do this using this chat system

Customer :

I understan, but this message pops up.

Customer :

TY, but it is time to go to bed.