OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin

i did a stupid thing and started up my MBP 13 in target disk

Customer Question

i did a stupid thing and started up my MBP 13" in target disk mode. Now I cannot get beyond the Apple logo, How can i get it to boot up again? If I buy a firewire cable and connect it to my MBP 15" can I change the setting back? Also, the HD is encrypted. i would appreciate any advice you are willing to offer. Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Robert O replied 3 years ago.

hello there

I see you are trying to set your boot order back to the original settings.

To do this, you need only hold down the "option" key upon booting your mac. This will pop up a screen prompt asking you which drive you wish to boot from.

Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think that would work normally but the problem seems to be that my hard drive is encrypted so what comes up first is a picture of the "startup disk" with the words SecureDoc Logon underneath and an arrow pointing upwards. The picture is not hot but the arrow is. When i click on it then I get to the usual SecureDoc screen asking for my user ID and PW. When I fill in the UserID and PW it goes back to the Apple Logo and hangs. I suspect the encryption is interfering with the usual option to change the boot order.

Is there another way I can communicate with the laptop that the encryption might not have screwed up?

Thank you.
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Hello, boot up your mac back into Target disk mode. After its booted, you should see the hard drive of the the 13" MBP on the desktop. Drag it to the trash and reboot. This should get you out of Target Disk Mode. Let me know if you need more help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello -

The problem is that I cannot get the Mac to boot at all. I get the WinMagic SecureDoc screen and when I put in my ID and PW the next screen is gray with a static Apple logo. That is all I can get to. I tried holding the Shift key simultaneously with the Enter key when I put in my SecureDoc ID and PW but I still only get the gray screen with the Apple Logo.
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Well, it's probably best to contact WinMagic to see if they can recover your data. You're really going to need to look to them to see if there is a back door to "unlock" your encrypted data.
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin