Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hi, my name is Ruth. I did something really stupid and accidentally

Hi, my name isXXXXX did something really stupid and accidentally deleted my iphoto library from my hard drive. I was cleaning out unwanted applications and files. I didn't realized that the pictures file under my hard drive was where all my photo information was stored, I thought it was separate and wouldn't effect my iphoto.
I retrieved all but the past 7 months of photos from my external hard drive, mainly because it's been that long since I updated it. Once all my photos were returned back into my iphoto, I realized that something was wrong. I can see the thumbnails but when I double click to open a preview: all I get is a black window. When I tried to upload a photo to Facebook, it said "Facebook supports photo aspect ratios up to 3:1. The following files have too large an aspect ratio:100_1161.JPG".
When I got straight into my hard drive and open a photo, there are no problems. I get a preview of the photo just like I'm supposed to. So I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my iphoto, did I do something wrong, or did I mess everything up by deleting my iphoto library straight from the hard drive?
Help! I'm really scared that I might have lost almost 4000 pictures from the last 6 years and that I can't fix what I messed up.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
If you used Data Rescue then you had the right application, you have to decide how much those photos are worth.
The alternative is even more expensive, or you can forget them.
The other choice is to find someone that owns that utility and will help you.
You want to refrain from writing anything to the hard drive in question or those photos can be permanently lost.
Remember one caveat, you get what you pay for, Data Rescue is worth the cost. I use it myself and am very happy with the results.
That is my best advice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not that worried about the lost 7 months of photos, Im more worried about why my iphoto isn't working? The photos in it cannot be exported, they can't be put on my desktop as a background. All I see are the thumbnails but when I go to open the photo, it opens as a black window. I want to know how to fix that problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I want to know how to fix my iphoto. I restored deleted photos from my external hard drive and now the photos cannot be uploaded, they come up as a black screen when I open them in Preview, they cannot be downloaded to my desktop. I want to know what went wrong?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I overlooked the part about the iPhoto not working correctly.
The way to fix iPhoto is to hold the 'Option' key while opening iPhoto and then select Create new Library, after it does that import all the photos from your hard drive. This will fix iPhoto so it works as before.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I direct my imported photos to the new library? I can select to restore my iphoto, then it asks me to select whether to restore the info to the original location, a new folder, the desktop, or (can't remember what else).
Would it be easier to upload them to my desktop then move them over to my new iphoto library?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I must have not told you that, sorry.
From the File menu select Import to Library...

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
That will do it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried to restore my iphoto library to my desktop but the file is empty. None of this is working...
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
No, when you open iPhoto hold down the 'Option' key, this will open this dialog box.

Register Here
Select create new.
Now iPhoto will open and from the file menu select import to library.
You will have to navigate to where your photos are and choose the folder. IPhoto will take over from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know what you meant..it didn't work so I tried saving my photos to the desktop and that didn't work either.
I have iphoto 5.0.4. I don't get the same options as version 9. My laptop is an ibook G4, 10.4.11. So I can't download version 9 either...

When I did what you said the first time and held 'option' as iphoto opened. It gave me a message saying: Choose photo library-Iphoto needs a library to continue. You may choose an existing photo library or create a new one. I chose "create library."
It then gave me the option to "save as:" and "where"...I saved it as iphoto library2 under my pictures.
When it opened, I clicked on "file", then "add to library", then went under my external hard drive and selected my iphoto from there to import. It showed: "importing.....", I waited for ten minutes and nothing happened.
I then clicked "stop import", and a message popped up saying: "Unreadable files: 460. Could not be imported. They may have unrecognizable file type or they may not have valid date.

Now what?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Will they open in another application? Like Preview or whatever you have? Maybe PhotoShop Elements?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope. That's the problem. Preview will open but it doesn't show the photo, just a black window. They cannot be uploaded to any website, they cannot be put to the desktop...its like they are not there. The thumbnails are the only thing actually showing the picture but when you double click to open them in a larger window..all you get is a black window.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I have iPhoto 7 on my Tiger machine, You can get iLife 06 on Amazon or ebay and it may do the trick.
Have you tried rebuilding the Library?
Try holding the Command and Option keys when opening iPhoto, this should give the option to rebuild it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I rebuilt iphoto but now its worse. The thumbnails dont even show up, they are just grey. When I double click to open one, its still a black window.
It brought back some photos I deleted a long time ago but now its soooooooo slow I cant scroll through to see if they are any others. All the different albums are just full of grey thumbnails.
The pinwheel of death keeps spinning every time I click to do something. It keeps freezing up and I have to force quit.
??????????????? Now what?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I should add...I just saw, as my external hard drive was getting scanned for viruses, that it was listing a lot of different files and it listed them as "not fully scanned, file is damaged." There were applications and pictures listed among other things. Could my files on the external hard drive be the problem?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
That is part of the problem, the virus software.
You may not be aware of it but there are no virus' for the Mac at this time.
I have used Macs since 1989 and have never used anti virus for anything, I have never had a virus, spyware or malware.
Turn that off, so that it does not interfere, it may be it caused this issue to begin with.
They may be so corrupted now that they be beyond recovery. I would totally disable the anti virus in all its forms and try rebuilding again or use Data Rescue, you should then be able to recover the original photos, that is your best hope at this point. When I say originals that is what they are, iPhoto keeps an unaltered version of every photo untouched.
It makes a copy and that is what you see when iPhoto is opened.
I wish I had known about the anti virus before and I should have asked, I don't use any and so don't think about others using it.
I will remember that lesson in the future.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I realize there are no viruses for Macs, that why I bought one. I did not know it could cause problems...I will try rebuilding again but I don't think it's going to help. We'll see!!
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I do not use nor have I ever used any since I tried Norton antivirus in 1990, it erased my entire hard drive for me, on its own.
My theory (and this is not proven) is that the same people that make the antivirus also write the virus', job security.
I do know that your machine will perform much better without it.
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well the rebuild didn't work.
Unless you know any other trick...then I'm just going to get Data Rescue and see how many I can get back. Let me know!
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I think that that is your best option. Keep in mind that some will be corrupted beyond repair.
You might want to take a look at this utility, it may help.
I wish you good fortune.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.