Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I am trying to make a book from from emails. The book should

I am trying to make a book from from emails. The book should be in PDF and I have the email in a folder. There are 99. I use the default Mail and I run 10.6.4 on a Macbook Pro.
I dont need it to be perfect but I can't bear the thought doing them one by one.Some of the email messages contain graphics as attachments.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Doing them as a 'batch' is possible and I have outlined how below.
You can save each email to the same folder and then use Pages to insert (as a batch) into a document.
I just did it to make sure it can be done the way you are looking to do it.
It does require Pages (part of iWorks 09).
Under the drop down menu for Insert select at the bottom 'Choose', navigate to the folder that has the saved email and select the first one, press and hold the Shift key then select the last one, click Insert.
This will select all from the first to the last, or use the Command key to select each in turn.
You can repeat this as many times as you like or you can do it in one fell swoop.

I have a folder named 'Email worth saving', it has text, photos, chat transcripts and other stuff. I followed my own instructions to make sure.
It will take some editing to make it the way you want then you can use the print to save as PDF.
Select Print from File and in the corner choose PDF, like this.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
It will not print it but it will save it as a PDF which can be printed from Pages or Preview.
Hope that answers your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The folder where the email is saved is not set up like a mailbox and I am not sure how to save the folder(inside the application Mail) as a normal folder with each message as its own item.
It does not matter, in fact it works better if not.
When you open the email and want to save it select 'Save As' from the 'File' drop down menu.
Create a new folder and call it something that will clue you to the contents, like 'email worth saving'.
Save the email as RTF (rich text format) Pages likes that format.
Now you open Pages with a blank document or a pre-made template.
Then follow my earlier directions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK but that is not much better than copy/paste. I would still have to save each email 1 at a time. And even worse, when it imports into pages it puts it into a text box of the smallest size. Am I being lazy or is there some sort of scripting that could save a folder of emails to their .rtf equivalent and a way to import them as individual pages into Pages?
I believe you are being lazy, you have to treat each e-mail individually to begin with.
I don't understand what it is you're doing, I tried the very same thing that I told you to do and it worked a treat.
Are you inserting or are you importing? There is a big difference.
The way that I told you worked very well and created a very nice PDF. It did require some editing to remove address headers and such.
If you have all of these already in a folder in your mail application then you can select all in that folder and insert directly into pages.
Note the word insert, not import.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We are getting very close to helping me. Thanks for your time. That is exactly what I need to do. How do you insert all of the items from a folder as oppose to importing them from the choose dialogue? Are you saying that I should save each email to a finder folder and then drag and drop the selected items in that folder onto an open pages document?
After you select Choose.. and you find the folder you can click on one and then use Command-A to select all inside that folder. The folder can be in the finder, on the desktop, in Mail or anywhere. If you know the folders name you can use the text search box to locate it.