Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

When I transfer new photos from my digital camera to my imac

Customer Question

When I transfer new photos from my digital camera to my imac computer, the transfer seems to be going okay and the photos seem to have "made it" onto the computer. But then a sign pops up saying that I may not have enough hard drive space and the photos may not have been saved. When I then check for the newly transferred photos, they are all of a sudden no longer on the computer. I do believe I have enough space on my hard drive. What could be the problem?

Sigridh Kiersch
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
loadedmind :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. If you will, please answer the following questions so I can further assist you:
* What version of OS X are you using? To obtain this information, click on the
Apple icon at top left, then choose About This Mac from the menu. The numbers to
the right of Version is what I'm looking for.
* Please find your Macintosh HD icon on your Desktop and control+click on the icon, then choose Get Info. Please let me know what it says for Available:

Regards,

loadedmind :

JOhn

Customer :

* Version of OS X is 10.5.8.

Customer :

*Available: 263.9 GB

loadedmind :

Can you please walk me through the process of you connecting your digital camera to the Mac, then transferring the photos? Or perhaps the process is automated? What program or programs automatically open as you connect your digital camera?

Customer :

Hello John,

Customer :

sorry about my awful timing. Just drove into the boonies to check out a remote fishing lake.

Customer :

Back to my problem:

Customer :

I plug a tiny cable into my Canon Powershot A510 digital camera and the other end of my cable goes into the back of my computer. Then the automatic iphoto program on my computer automatically starts and the photos are transferred (i.e. "imported" to the computer). But since a recent computer breakdown I have had to press the transfer button on the back of my camera to get the process going. Then the photos actually show on iphoto and I can, for example, quickly attach one of them to the e-mail program right then and there and send it off to someone. But the moment I get out of iphoto, the new photos are gone again...

Customer :

Just so you know, I have to go to a lunch date but will be back after 5 pm. Looking forward to your ongoing help.

loadedmind : Can you please walk mr through the process from connecting your digital camera to what your Mac is doing when attempting to transfer to whichever application tries to automatically handle the pictures?
Customer :

Hello John,

Customer :

Sorry again. Just spent two hours re-connecting two lost dogs with their owner. I'm unable to stay connected today (Sunday), and will be out of town Monday. How do we re-connect?

Customer :

Thanks, Sigridh

loadedmind :

Hi Sigridh, just keep coming back here and let me know please.