loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

I Safe Booted my iBook G4. No doubt it cleaned things up because

I Safe Booted my iBook G4. No doubt it cleaned things up because I can no longer use WiFi. How do I get that back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
loadedmind :

Hi and welcome to the site - I'm John. It would help to know the following please:

* What version of OS X are you using? To obtain this information, click on the
Apple icon at top left, then choose About This Mac from the menu. The numbers to
the right of Version is what I'm looking for.
* Within System Preferences->Network, what do you currently see for available devices?

Customer :

Goodday, John.

Customer :

My OS X is 10.3.9 My Network lists: It is connected to AirPort and my wif i system. Hmmm. I'll try it again

Customer :

Ops, read the wrong Network. On my 10.3.9, Network lists: Location: automatic, Show: network status; Built in ethernet is green and lists the IP address as 192.168.15.67, Internet Modem and AirPort are both red.

Customer :

I'm a little confused about the $19 next to my question on the screen. I understood I had subscribed and there would be no charge.

loadedmind :

There shouldn't be a problem with the $19. The system simply assigns a value to the question for reports purposes I believe. If you want the full scoop on how that whole thing works, please send an email toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and they can help answer your questions

When you're in the Network section of System Preferences, can you please verify whether the Airport device is enabled or not?

Customer :

Sorry, that's too hard a question for me. I listed what was on the Network screen. When I click on AirPort, I get the AirPort screen which states that AirPort Power is Off. At Network it lists in light print Not Available. And down below at Status it says No AirPort Hardware found.

loadedmind :

Ok, I'll need you to please reset PRAM by following these instructions. This will not impact the data that's currently on your hard drive.

Resetting PRAM & NVRAM
-----------------------------------

1) Shut down the computer

2) Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You
will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4

3) Turn on the computer

4) Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key
combination before the gray screen appears

5) Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound
for the second time

6) Release the keys

Please let me know whether this has any impact on the problem when done. It's important that you hear the second chime before you release the keys or the PRAM didn't get reset.

Regards,

Customer :

Thank you, John.

Customer :

That did the job.

loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.