Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

Hi we are unable to complete the installation of the OS

Customer Question

Hi

we are unable to complete the installation of the OS X software update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.8.

the software installation status bar shows only about 10% complete on the "configuring installation" process. we have tried several times and it gets hung up at the same point each time.

thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Travis :

Have you attempted to reinstall 10.5.2 or are you attempting to restart and update? To clarify, if you are attempting to update from 10.5.2, but are experiencing problems with 10.5.2, that may be the issue. Or if you attempted to update and the system crashed during the update, that may be the problem.

Customer :

no, we have not attempted to re-install 10.5.2. Should we try that?

Customer :

10.5.2 was the original os x software on the computer when we purchased it.

Travis :

Yes, you should "Archive and Install" the Mac OS X first, especially since the combo update locked up. I am going to get a full instruction list together and post in a few minutes. I am going to convert this to a Q&A first.

Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Because you appear to be "offline" (not in the chat currently), I've converted this chat session to a Q&A session. You can simply post all comments, answers and questions here. Bookmark this page and return to it at a later time. I'll reply ASAP to any posts you provide. Give me a few and I'll post instructions on the "Archive and Install" and the new update to 10.5.8.
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer yet. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

The "Archive and Install" option on reinstalling the Mac OS X will preserve your user data and files, but you may need to reinstall some third party software add-ons and fonts. Because of this I highly suggest you get a good backup of your hard drive prior to doing this if you can. I would use Carbon Copy Cloner for the backup if you don't already have one: (http://www.bombich.com/).

Also, there is a comprehensive website detailing the Archive and Install process online. I recommend you check it out before proceeding.
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/archiveinstall.html

Here's the breakdown on "Archive and Install".

1) Insert the Mac OS X install disk.

2) Shut down the computer.

3) Start the machine while holding the C key immediately after pressing the power button (Don't let go of the "C" until it starts from the disk or locks up). If you have to choose, select the Installation disk as the startup.

4) When it starts, a screen should appear asking you to "Choose your language."
NOTE: If you get the login screen instead of the "Choose your language" screen, then the mac DID NOT boot up off of the Install Disk. In this case, try shutting down the computer. Then restarting while holding down the "option" key until the Startup manager appears (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1310). When it does, click on the Install Disk as the startup volume.

5) Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.

6) Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.

7) After reading or printing the information, click Continue. The Software License Agreement window appears.

8) After reading or printing the information, click Continue.

9) An agreement sheet appears.C lick Agree. The Select a Destination window appears.

10) Click the volume that you wish to install to (this will be your hard drive).

11) Click Options. (This is the most important part of the "Archive and Install" process). The installation options sheet appears.

12) Select Archive and Install.

13) Select the volume (your hard drive) which already has Mac OS X installed.

14) You should also select Preserve Users and Network Settings, to preserve network and Home directory settings. This will keep all of your original files and your home directory. VERY IMPORTANT.

15) Click Ok.

16) Click Continue to begin the installation.

17) When complete, you'll need to restart the mac, then run Software Update (under the apple menu) to bring your mac and software up to date. This should allow you to run the Combo Install to get it up to 10.5.8.

Note, you may have to run Software Update a few times (installing, restarting, then installing more options, restarting, etc) as some updates may unlock additional updates.

Good Luck. And let me know if you have any questions.

If I helped, please click ACCEPT. Otherwise I do not get paid. If you still need assistance or have further questions, I'll be glad to keep working until this issue is resolved.
FEEDBACK & Bonuses are always appreciated!
PLEASE, BEFORE leaving Negative Feedback,
allow me the chance to respond here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we do not have a Mac OS X install disc
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.

Without the Mac OS X Install Disk, you may not be able to repair the damage that may be present. In order to proceed you may have to have the Mac repaired or purchase a new Mac OS X install disk.

In the meantime, I would suggest you run some general maintenance on the computer. It is an obvious square-one approach. I normally suggest this first because it is good practice plus if we dig too deep into a problem and simple measures could have repaired it in the beginning we'll be kicking ourselves later... This is going to be a long post so I suggest printing it out for your reference. Also, it will require a USB keyboard, not a wireless keyboard. Try this, then let me know how things are working out. Make sure you then backup your computer (I suggested Carbon Copy Cloner earlier). After that is complete, then I would attempt to update the system again. This time however, I would update to 10.5.6 (not 10.5.8). IF that works, then move on to 10.5.8. I'll provide those links at the bottom.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup as well as clear out any cache here as well.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Now let's check / repair the disk permissions. Although this doesn't fix all problems it is a great way to start when working on a machine, besides it often cleans up any other smaller problems you may or may not be experiencing.
1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.
3) Click the "First Aid" tab at the top and run the "Repair Permissions" after selecting your Hard Drive from the list on the left.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) Restart and make sure you have everything important backed up.

After you have everything backed up, the next step would be try the 10.5.6 Combo update. Don't attempt the "Software Update" in the apple menu. We'll do it via apple's website instead. I'll provide the link below:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10-5-6_Combo_Update

If you are successful with 10.5.6, then let's upgrade to 10.5.8 from here:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_8_Combo_Update

If you are unable to make it this far successfully, then it may be necessary to purchase a Mac OS X Install Disk for Leopard. If this occurrs, let me know and I'll direct you in the right direction. Good Luck

allow me the chance to respond here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried the backup with no success. I have an external drive (Free Agent) which was previously used to back up an HP computer. Carbon Copy Cloner stated that the hard drive needed to be re-formatted. When I tried to start that I could not even find the Free Agent Drive. In fact when the drive is attached, I can not use finder. I click on the finder icon and nothing happens. So I can not even eject the Free Agent properly. As soon as I disconnect the Free Agent cable, finder works again.
Can you help me with this? Otherwise could you tell me if any of the above procedures that you recommended are safe without first doing a backup?
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
First, the backup is necessary as a precaution only. I always go into any work on the hard drive or Mac OS X with a good backup, just in case. Disaster can strike at any time, and it is a horrible experience to lose the data you have on your hard drive. A backup is a must. At least for anything important.

Carbon Copy Cloner requires the hard drive to be formatted in a specific way, as you are creating a clone of your hard drive. Because the hard drive was setup for a PC in the past, the format is not correct to be used for your Mac. Also, the hard drive must be as large or larger than the hard drive in your mac in order to use it to backup. There is more info available here: http://help.bombich.com/faqs/overview/format

The backup is nice, but not required. I do highly recommend that you at least get a backup (using whatever means possible) for all of your documents and data that is not recoverable or reinstallable. My fear is that because you do not have a Mac OS X Install disk and that you have already attempted to update the OS X unsuccessfully, you may at any moment find yourself with a hard drive that is no longer bootable. Now is the time to get your important data off there. And, it is really important to locate your Mac OS X Install Disk or consider purchasing a new one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks for that info, I assume there is no way to format the drive from this computer. As I stated above when I connect the drive, I can not see it (Finder no longer works). Therefore I can not follow the procedure in the link you sent. Perhaps if I bring the drive back to a windows based computer I can format it?
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
The best process would be to reformat the drive on the Windows computer into a format that the Mac can see, then reformat the drive on the Mac using Disk Utilities (under the Applications > Utilities) per the instructions for Carbon Copy Cloner.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi I finally got it working. Thanks for your help. I plan on accepting your answer, but just have one last question. I was never able to do a backup of the system. No matter what I did I could not communicate with the external drive. I finally decided to take my chances since there was not any super crucial data on the computer. (I was prepared to lose it all). I installed the original discs as you suggested and restored the original operating system, then did then upgrade. It looks like I did not lose any data. As soon as I fixed what ever problem there was with the OS, I was then able to communicate with the external drive. It seems like the problem with the OS was preventing me from doing a backup. Seems like a bit of a catch 22 -- is there any way out of a situation like that?
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
The best way to handle something like this is to have the backup in the first place :)

In all seriousness, there are times where you are unable to backup the hard drive, for whatever reason, that's why backing up to your external on a regular basis, and especially before making any changes to the Operating System or loading anything new is a good idea. Once you start doing it, and it saves you once or twice, you'll live by it.

The only other option is to hook up the mac to another mac via firewire and attempt a firewire transfer of data. Sometimes this can get you out of a bind too. For future reference:

1) Shut down your troubled mac.
2) Start up the good mac.
3) Connect a firewire cable between the 2 machines.
4) Press and hold the T button and then power up the troubled mac. Don't let go of the T until the firewire logo starts bouncing around on the screen.
5) This should connect the troubled mac to the good mac as an external hard drive.
6) You should then be able to backup the troubled mac to another external drive (connected to the good mac) or to the good mac itself over the Firewire Connection
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Did you have any further questions? Just checking back in since the question is still open and was not accepted?