Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My mail application does not open. The little rainbow wheel

Customer Question

My 'mail' application does not open. The little rainbow wheel just keeps spinning and spinning. I am using Mac OS X version 10.5.8. How do I fix it?

I added the following information: The application does open, but it is 'frozen'. I get the list of mailboxes on the left side of the screen. The last mailbox I used is highlighted. I get the 'table' when my mail is suppose to be with columns (they are not the normal width columns, and I believe there are some columns that I'm not used to.)
This problem started when my macbook turned off because I had little time on my battery (it was not being charged.)

The rest of my computer works fine. When I have an application in front of the MAIL screen, and my cursor moves to the mail screen, it becomes the rainbow spinner again. If I have tried my mail, and then open safari, and then I want to shut the computer down, I shut it down from safari.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please remember to click ACCEPT if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

Please restart the computer on Safe Mode following the steps below:

1- Turn off your Mac

2- Turn it on and press and HOLD the SHIFT key on the keyboard, until you see "Safe Boot" on the login window.

3- Wait for Mac OS X to be completely loaded.

4- Restart the computer in normal mode.

5- Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting.

If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has not be fixed. I guess i need to explain that when I try to open my mail application, the form opens, with my mailboxes on the left and the headings for the mail (with more columns than I remember having) and no mail listed. The last mailbox I was on before it froze is highlighted and the spinning rainbow wheel just spins and spins, etc.

I am sorry but I am out of ideas. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you.

Thank you
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Please tell me what email service you use, Gmail, MobileMe, Yahoo etc.
How many mail boxes do you have? Are they with the same email service or different services?
How do you shut down your Mac in Safari? This is something new to me and I would like to know how.