OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

my zip disk on my G3 will not eject. I restarted the computer

my zip disk on my G3 will not eject. I restarted the computer and the zip disk does not show up as an icon. How can I eject the zip disk?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available? What kind of Zip drive are you using?

Customer :

100 meg

OSXpert :

Okay, does it have a model number?

Customer :

it is an old G3 console with the monitor sitting on top.

Customer :

OS 7.5

OSXpert :

I see. Is the Zip drive external?

Customer :

no built-in

Customer :

the computer has a floppy drive, cd drive and zip drive

OSXpert :

Is there a very small hole (like, the size of a paperclip) near the face of the zip drive where you insert the disk?

Customer :

no, but on the cd and flopy, yes.

Customer :

the finder does not recognize the zip cartridge

OSXpert :

Yeah, this could be bad...hopefully there isn't anything too important on that disk. The magnetic quality of Zip disks degrades quickly, you may want to consider abandoning the drive and using something like a CD or USB flash drive.

OSXpert :

try pressing Command+Option+1

OSXpert :

if that fails, press Command+Option+2

Customer :

while i was talking to you, the zip self-eject.

OSXpert :

Did it work?

Customer :

Didn't need to try. When i went to my G3 it self-ejected. This situation happen before so i will try it if it happen again. I only use the G3 for scanning as my scanner is a scuzzy drive. My G4 and G5 are (ubs) and not compatible to where I can use my scanner.

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin