Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My WD 1200U017-003 is suddenly not being read my my Imac since

Customer Question

My WD 1200U017-003 is suddenly not being read my my Imac since I upgraded
to snow leopard. When I try it on my laptop, I get a message that says: the disk
you inserted was not readable. I can't figure out how to format the thing. Can you
help?

Thanks,

Myra
Category: Mac
Expert:  sibu1984 replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Sibu :

Hello, Welcome To JustAnswer Thanks & Regards Sibu

Sibu :

Hi

Customer :

Do you have a solution? What do we do now?

Sibu :

do you have PC ?

Customer :

I can't accept a solution you haven't given me.

Customer :

Mac

Sibu :

no do you have another PC ?

Customer :

If you look at my question, you'll see that I have only Mac. One is an Imac,

Customer :

the other is a laptop.

Sibu :

ok

Customer :

Do you think you'll have an answer soon? If not, maybe you can send my an email

Customer :

when you have one.

Sibu :

follow the steps in the above link

Customer :

I tried to follow the instructions in the first link, but when I got to the step that said:
At the “Volume Format” select “MS-DOS File System, I found that the option was not

Customer :

available. In other words, there was no option in the drop-down screen

Sibu :

ok I see

Customer :

that said MS-DOS File system. One option was Mac OS extended journaled.

Sibu :

hold on

Sibu :

try above link

Customer :

Actually, the partitioning screen is available. In the left-hand window, there are two lines coming up. One says 2.2 TB WD media, and the other says HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS22N Does that mean anything?

Sibu :

yes it is the WD media

Customer :

I tried to follow the directions to erase, but the message said:POSIX reports the operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory.

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

Sorry I am out of ideas ...

Sibu :

I will open this to other experts

Customer :

Thank you.

Sibu :

No Problem

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi Myra, My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Follow the step below to format your hard disk. Remember, formatting will remove all teh contents of your hard disk.

• Goto Applications/Utilities/ and open DiskUtility
  • Now connect your hard drive into your Mac
  • Select the External Hard Disk that at the left column
  • Click on the Erase tab
  • At the “Volume Format” select “Mac OS Journaled/Extended”
  • If you confirm to format your hard disk, Click on “Erase” button.
  • Let it finish..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As I said yesterday, in an email to Ashik, his solution is one I already tried, and it
didn't work. I now want to withdraw this question, as I think there's no answer out there.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Have you tried another USB/Firewire cable and port ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem is not with the USB ports. I'm pretty sure the storage device is gone from what I've read about the problem. What do I have to do to withdraw this question?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
ContactXXX@XXXXXX.XXX to ask refund for this question.