Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

I have a MacBook from 2004. Ive had the hard drive replaced

Customer Question

I have a MacBook from 2004. I've had the hard drive replaced once. I dropped it (oops) and it will turn on, but will not proceed past the Apple Logo screen. Help!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please remember to click ACCEPT if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

Please restart the computer on Safe Mode following the steps below:

1- Turn off your Mac

2- Turn it on and press and HOLD the SHIFT key on the keyboard, until you see "Safe Boot" on the login window.

3- Wait for Mac OS X to be completely loaded.

4- Restart the computer in normal mode.

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting.

If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It still just goes to the Apple Logo screen and stays there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's an iBook G4. Not a Macbook. Sorry.
Possible Solution #2: Reset the PRAM and NVRAM
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It made the sound twice but still won't move past the Apple Screen. Should I hold the keys down until the Apple Screen shows up?

You can release them after the second sound.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Makes the sound twice and then freezes.

:-(

Do you have the installation cd of your Mac ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nope. I've moved so many times since I got this. If I send it out to someplace will they be able to retrieve my files?

Yes, they can remove the hard drive and retrieve your files. They can save your files into another hard drive or a DVD.

Also you can call APPLE and ask for a replacement OS cd, so you don't have to buy it again at 1-800-APL-CARE

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My purpose for using this service was to avoid sending my computer out to be fixed. Although you tried, you were unable to help me fix the problem and therefore I still have to send my computer out.

Thus, I cannot "Accpet Answer" because you were unable to do what I was willing to pay for. I cannot pay $18 just to have arrived at the same place I was before I tried using the service.