Joseph, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 2 years of experience in computer industry including MAC

my imac is 3-4 years old. it wont turn on. when i push the

my imac is 3-4 years old. it won't turn on. when i push the power button the front light power indicator goes on for 1-2 seconds and the fan starts up, then they stop. it won't turn all the way on. it was fine when we went to bed last night. the outlet works, as does the surge protector the computer is plugged into. i unplugged the cord from the computer for >15 minutes, but it didn't work. any thoughts?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Joseph :

Joseph :

I will try to help you.

Joseph :

Reset the SMC (System Management Controller) >

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
4. Release the power button.
5. Attach the computers power cable.
6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then restart resetting the PRAM >

Restart holding the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears and hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

JACUSTOMER-aehdm2xe- :

didn't work

Joseph :

ok give me a minute.

Joseph :

1. Make sure the electrical outlet works by plugging in a different device, or plug the computer into a different outlet.
    2. Check the power cord. Use a known good power cord.
    3. Check the connection of the power cord on both ends. Make sure that the plug is securely plugged into both the electrical outlet and the back of the computer.
    4. Disconnect the keyboard, mouse, and all other peripherals such as speakers.
JACUSTOMER-aehdm2xe- :

i'll try, but the power light indicator and fan start up for 1-2 seconds after i push the power button.

Joseph :

If you still can't get the unit to turn on,the issue can be a Hardware issue we can't handle without opening the machine. So contact your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider.
JACUSTOMER-aehdm2xe- :

didn't work. i'll contact them.