Engineer John C., Computer Engineer & Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
23822421

I accidentally deleted the DVD/CDROM drive icon under devices

I accidentally deleted the DVD/CDROM drive icon under devices on the left of the Finder window. Now the drive does not work. I insert a DVD or CD-ROM and it says it is not valid media and expels it with the sort of disdain one associates with an ancient god of fire spitting out the luke-warm offerings of a petitioner seen as too placid for divine favor. Or, uh, you know .... something to that effect. Am I doomed by the gods? Will my drive ever work again? Note: I have a lamb tied out back and I will offer up its tender life in sacrifice to achieve unholy union with darkly proto-satanic forces if necessary. Just, uh -- hey, lem'me know, okay?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Thank you for the detailed information :-D

Please let me know the EXACT error message you get when you insert a CD or DVD

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You know, I could have sworn there was an error message belittling my manhood and ancestry, but I tried just now and all that actually happens is the disk goes in and then comes back out again. No message.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

Please restart the computer on Safe Mode following the steps below:

1- Turn off your Mac

2- Turn it on and press and HOLD the SHIFT key on the keyboard, until you see "Safe Boot" on the login window.

3- Wait for Mac OS X to be completely loaded.

4- Restart the computer in normal mode.

5- Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

6- If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried a couple of times. Still not working. Any thoughts?

Possible Solution #2: Reset the PRAM and NVRAM
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried it; didn't work. Still kicks out both CD-ROMs and DVDs as before. No icon for the drive appears.

Try holding down the Shift Key when you put the disk in until the disk loads onto the desktop and let me know if it works.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Experience: I am Computer Science Engineer CompTIA A+ and Cisco certified and have 10 years of experience fixing Macs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No -- the disk ejects without ever loading onto the desktop. The rejection is pretty quick -- in and out. Perhaps an exorcism?

Hehe

I really think the dvd drive is defective and should be replaced :-(

However I will opt out to see if another expert has a second opinion.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. I'll try exorcism first, though. :)
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Can you tell me just what model Mac you have and the processor speed?
You can find most of that here,

Register Here

Register Here
I ask because there is a reset not yet tried and it differs from Mac to Mac.
Also once you get the above screen click on More Info and see if the drive is in the System Profiler, it probably will be and still not work.
One more thing is with the pram reset you want to get 4 startup chimes for a good reset.
Please let me know and turn the lamb loose, we won't be needing it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it's Mac OS X 10.6.4
2.3 GHz Intel Core D Duo
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.27f2
Serial Number (system): W88461GB1XR
Hardware UUID: 8DF3E88F-7EF3-58CC-B869-07B704829C7F
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Ok, how did you delete it? Did you drag it out and it went poof?
The icon and the drive working have nothing really to do with each other. It can be put back easily with Finder preferences.

Register Here
Click on SideBar.

Register Here
If CDs, DVDs and iPods is unchecked then recheck it.
This is where you control what does and doesn't show.
Did this start happening directly after the icon incident or was it a while after?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I honestly can't say. I remember when in a rush on something at work I accidentally deleted the icon. And then shortly thereafter I couldn't get the drive to work. I then suddenly remembered deleting the icon and thought: oh, oh, I bet I emptied it out of the trash can, too (which was indeed empty). But this all happened during a very busy event, so it's fuzzy in my mind.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Was the checkbox checked or did you check it?
Try this SMC (system management controller) and see if it does anything.
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still no luck. By the way, although I've now checked the checkbox, the icon still doesn't appear.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
It won't until you have an iPod or CD/DVD mounted.
I think it needs an Apple tech to look at it, sounds like the optical drive has failed.
If you have AppleCare then any repairs will be covered, if you don't Apple usually will give a good price on replacement of the drive.
The alternative is an external optical drive, this is where I recommend looking for one.
You can find some of these at BestBuy, Walmart etc.
That is the best I have long distance, a hands on tech may be able to do more.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Wish I had an easy button, but my goat ate it. You are welcome.