Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a Mac Mini with OSX 10.5.8 (1.25 GHz Power PC G4).

Customer Question

I have a Mac Mini with OSX 10.5.8 (1.25 GHz Power PC G4). For years I have been using Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac (version 11.6.0 (100702). It has been working flawlessly for years.

Today, after clicking on Word, it came on, it let me type and print a letter. But it would not let me open existing files. When I click on "file", and then on "open", the spinning symbol came on and Word would do nothing. I had to right click on the Word symbol and click on "force quit" to get out of the program. The same thing happens when I click on the open symbol in the top bar. When I click on "file" the names of recent files shows up, and when I click on one of them they will open, but the screen showing all existing files do not show.

Any ideas? I am not a computer genius, but I have been using them successfully for decades. And, I like chocolate.

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

GorXXXXX XXXXXhead XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

You can run Disk Utility in Single User Mode. This should fix your Macintosh HD and that might fix the problem.

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried exactly as Ashik recommended. When I turned the computer off, then turned it on when depressing the Apple key and the "s" key, and typed in "/sbin/fsck -fy", I received the message "No such file or directory."

I then typed in "fsk - fy" as recommended and rebooted the computer. I opened Word for Mac, and the same original problem existed that wouldn't let me open files.

The problem has not yet been resolved. What would you recommend next?

GorXXXXX XXXXXhead XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Goto Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. Select your hard disk in left column, click Repair Disk and then Repair Permission. Let me know if that didn't worked...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have gone through the "Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities" procedure you have outlined above. It took quite a while, but when it finished, and I opened Word for Mac, the initial problem was still present, unchanged. I still cannot open files saved on Word for Mac. Nothing appears to have changed.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delayed response...We can try to reset the Preferences of Word. So close all office applications including Word.

Goto Macintosh HD/Users/your name/Library/Preferences/ and trash com.Microsoft.word.plist (Don't Empty the trash)

Goto Macintosh HD/Users/your name/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/ and trash the whole folder Office200x (Don't empty the trash)

Also delete the normal template..

Goto Macintosh HD/Users/your name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/ and trash "Normal.dotm"

Let me know if that didn't worked...
Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2 October 2010, Saturday, 10:52 a.m.

Hello Ashik,

I did the following as you recommended:
1. So close all office applications including Word. [I did this with no problem]
2. Goto Macintosh HD/Users/your name/Library/Preferences/ and trash com.Microsoft.word.plist (Don't Empty the trash) [I did this with no problem]
3. Goto Macintosh HD/Users/your name/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/ and trash the whole folder Office200x (Don't empty the trash) [I did this with no problem]. You then recommended "Also delete the normal template.. " THIS SCREEN HAD NO OPTION LABELLED "DELETE THE NORMAL TEMPLATE, OR ANYTHING SIMILAR", SO I WAS UNABLE TO DO THIS.
4. Goto Macintosh HD/Users/your name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/ and trash "Normal.dotm" [I DID THIS THROUGH THE STEP "APPLICATION SUPPORT", HOWEVER, AT THIS POINT THE SCREEN HAD NO OPTIONS LABELLED "Microsoft" or "Office" or "User Templates", so I could go no further.

HOWEVER, AT THIS POINT I RE-OPENED MICROSOFT WORD, AND TRIED ONCE AGAIN TO GET THE FILE LIST AND OPEN A FILE, AND IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING PERFECTLY!!!!! EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T ABLE TO COMPLETE YOUR LAST 2 SUGGESTIONS, SOMETHING IN THE FIRST PART OF YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS SEEMED TO HAVE WORKED FINE. THE PROBLEM APPEARS TO BE FIXED. THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX YOUR HELP!

GORDON XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
You just removed a corrupted preference file of Word and that fixed the word problem. I'm glad it worked. If you have time, please leave a Positive Feedback to me.

Best Regards,