OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I have an Apple iPhone, version 4.0.1, with 16 GB of memory

I have an Apple iPhone, version 4.0.1, with 16 GB of memory storage capacity. I use it to access music, pod-casts, audio books, photos, and a few videos. I've run out of space, and currently have only 123 MB left. When I recently attempted to sync some new music, it suggested that I delete some pod casts to create more space, but I use the pod casts occasionally and don't want to delete them. Is there any way for me to create more storage space? Or should I just upgrade to an iPhone with a larger memory? I recently read that a new "super chip" will be coming out in the new year, allowing for significantly more space; maybe I should just wait it out till then. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks a lot. Frank
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
OSXpert :

Hi Frank, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer :

Hi, Britton,

OSXpert :

Hi. So, you have an iPhone and it's full, you're looking for a way to expand the amount of space it has available?

Customer :

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I have a few minutes. But not much more than that

Customer :

Yes, you've got it

OSXpert :

okay, here's the deal....there is no way to expand the amount of Flash (memory) on the iPhone (no sdcards or other memory modules can be added)...

OSXpert :

In short, you're looking at upgrading to the 32GB model, or, you can shorten the list of songs or apps that you sync to it in iTunes

OSXpert :

I'd recommend going with the latter for the time being, you may not need all 32GB

Customer :

So, would you recommend just waiting for a newer version of the phone to come out, or upgrading nmow to a 32 GB version?

Customer :

Oh, got you. I tytped my response before reading yours. Thanks

OSXpert :

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade to the 32GB version right now, I'm not sure what you have worked out with AT&T, but I doubt they'll let you upgrade to the 32GB without paying some ridiculous price since you probably signed a contract to get your current model

Customer :

Any other thoughts?

OSXpert :

In all likelihood, Apple will not release a new iPhone until Summer 2011 -- historically, they have never released a phone any other time than the June-July timeframe

Customer :

Yea, good point. I'll have to check the contract; I think its for two years and I've had the phone for just over one.

Customer :

Oh. Thats good to know.

OSXpert :

Honestly, syncing is easy enough, I would sync frequently and only sync the content that you know you'll be interested in working with for that day...

Customer :

Is there any way to easily remove or delete content from the iPhone to create more available space?

OSXpert :

Otherwise, you can look into selling your current (3GS I assume??) on Ebay and maybe picking up a 32GB 3GS. You may even be able to get a 32GB iPhone 4 on ebay, but it will probably be insanely expensive

OSXpert :

Yes, when you sync your phone, uncheck the boxes (i.e. under the "Music" category) of the playlists that you don't want to sync. This will remove any tunes from the phone that you don't have checked

Customer :

OK. Thanks. I didn't know that. Thats really helpful.

Customer :

I appreciate your time. If theres nothing else on your end, I think you've answered my question. Thanks.

OSXpert :

Sure thing. Also, iPhone 4 32GB are selling for $700-$900 on ebay

OSXpert :

Good deal, thanks and let me know if you need more help.

Customer :

Man, thats ridiculous

OSXpert :

yeah....way expensive

Customer :

OK thanks, man. You take care.

OSXpert :

Same to you

Customer :

later

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin